C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

painting back of seats

Old 03-30-2003, 09:17 PM
mjfox
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting back of seats

I have beige 1992 seats I would like to paint the backs any one know the procedure
Thanks mj fox
Old 03-30-2003, 10:39 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Re: painting back of seats (mjfox)

Before you prep for paint, try applying some tire gel to a remote spot and see if the luster returns. Pick a low spot about 6"X6" and apply the gel liberally. Then wipe off the excess.
If you are not satisfied, soap and water will cleanse the area. After applying the gel, my ruby colored seat backs now match the luster of the dressed ruby leather. I'm talking about a gel, not a spray tire dressing.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:55 PM
az28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: painting back of seats (mjfox)

Seat backs need to be throughly cleaned with a wax and grease remover.
If they aren't scratched or damaged , lightly scuff them with a fine Scothbrite pad. Wipe lightly with a rag with laquer thinner before spraying to promote adhesion. Just a light ,fast wipe off is all you need . Don't over wet them! You can get flexible (vinyl dye) spray paint at any parts store. The paints come in semi-gloss, flat depending on the finish you want. Probably semi-gloss, or Satin. You can get really good results. Clean up any overspray with Laquer thinner. Dont get laquer thinner on any finished surfaces, it will eat into most anything! Good luck.
JR :flag :flag
Old 03-30-2003, 11:21 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: painting back of seats (az28)

MJ,
Checker Auto sells interior trim paint. Use liquid sandpaper (or a reasonable mineral spirits/ degreaser) and spray away. Mine were factory grey and now they are black. The Dupli-Color interior trim paint is exact factory match.

~ Purp :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To painting back of seats

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: painting back of seats