C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:17 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions?

Hey everyone,

My car has the small pre-cats in the front 'Y' pipe and I know that some Corvettes didn't have these. If I replace my pre-cat front 'Y' pipe with the non-cat equivalent, will it seriously raise my emissions levels? I don't plan on removing my center cat (the car has to be emisions tested every two years).

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:26 PM
DON M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (TheCorvetteKid)

Walker/DynoMax sells a catless Y-pipe and converter that meets 49 state emissions requirements as a package. It is only 2 1/4" and punch bent.
I have a 2 1/2" mandrel bent SS Y-pipe and a high flow converter and it passes IM-240 dyno emissions here in VA. Actually it is illegal but no one knows the difference here. I figured that I could use the Walker as an example and BS my way past an inspector. I didn't have to resort to skulldugery as the subject never came up and the car burns clean.
It is worth a few HP on the butt dyno and it sounds healthier too.
Good luck.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:27 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (TheCorvetteKid)

I have no pre-cats, a hi-flow Random Tech car, hi-flow cat back and run a 160 deg stat with fan sw.

Last year my '88 easily passed the OH dyno E-test.

I would suggest you replace your stock cat with a Random Technology 3-stage cat.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

That 2 year smog inspection sure comes around to fast.......
Been there done that.....just not worth messing with the smog parts anymore....so I just work around them....
tony
:flag :flag :eek: :flag :flag
Old 04-08-2003, 04:06 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places that do the emissions aren't aware of which cars have pre-cats and which ones don't. Normally they will just look for the main cat and say 'yeah'. As long as it passes the sniffer test on the dyno they could care less.

The last time I had mine checked, they saw the long tube headers and asked "Is all the original smog equipment still on the vehicle?" :yesnod:
Old 04-08-2003, 05:50 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

As long as you keep the Main cat, and its in good condition, you should pass.

I would replace with a Random Tech though.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:15 PM
pwrful c4
Burning Brakes

I had an 88 with the precats removed and passed emissons fine. :steering:
Old 04-08-2003, 09:37 PM
The Dingo
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17, '22

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (pwrful c4)

You should pass a sniffer test. I understand the precats were put there by GM to help with the cold start portion of federal emissions tests. That being the case, once your car is up to temp you should be okay.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (pwrful c4)

I had an 88 with the precats removed and passed emissons fine. :steering:
:withstupid:
MA has the very strict dyno test and mine passed fine.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:16 PM
racerx
Instructor

The smog tech geeks here in calif look for the pre-cats on the 86 & up vettes. If they are missing, it fails the visual part of the test. Some are more observant than others.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:21 PM
h rocks
Safety Car

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (Red 90 L98 Coupe)

Dead on Red 90. All he has to do is make sure the car's good and warm when it gets tested. (this of course presumes they don't have a visual inspection, but I do believe that in Canada is where GM had originated the "export" Y pipe.)
Old 04-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Wypster
Advanced

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (h rocks)

I have an '89 and have the pre-cats removed and Magnaflow SS exhaust .... the car passed the tests (just barely) last Oct. ... just have to make sure the car is tuned up and the injectors are not leaking.

I go through the same emissions tests as you do. The only problem I had was with the injectors leaking. I fixed those and the car passed without a problem.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:00 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (Wypster)

IF you fail any part of the emissions test as a result of the removal of the precats, it will be the NOx part. The precats are designed to handle the NOx and nothing else, whereas the main cat is designed to handle the HC part. The way you can tell is that you need additional oxygen (on the OEM style cats) to clean up the HC portion, and only the main cat has the AIR tube. The location of the precats (right past the manifolds) is indicative of a NOx cat, as they will heat up VERY quickly that close to the exhaust manifold, and you need a LOT of heat to break apart NOx molecules.

As a little sidenote, if your in-cylinder temperature never break 1500 F, you will not have any NOx emissions, as NOx molecules simply cannot form below 1500 F. This is why an engine that is running VERY rich will have nearly no measureable NOx emissions.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:14 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (CorvetteZ51Racer)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. I may just do this swap!

Oh, one more thing - did anybody notice any performance gain after doing this change?

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:24 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, one more thing - did anybody notice any performance gain after doing this change?
:yesnod: DEFINATELY did! It made it sound a WHOLE lot meaner than before. When I had TOTALLY stock exhaust (and actually a TOTALLY stock car, other than Ignition and K&N Filter) I passed California Emissions with NO NOX AT ALL!! So I figure take out the precats and I'll still be ok. :D As far as visual, when I smogged my vette, he didn't even look for the MAIN cat. He simply said "When a car passes that clean everything fine." LoL, works for me!
Old 04-10-2003, 05:27 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. I may just do this swap!

Thanks again.
Well, I went from stock exhaust straight to Lingenfelter long tubes, but I gained 43 rwtq and 32 rwhp on the chassis dyno from the exhaust alone.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:15 AM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions? (racerx)

The smog tech geeks here in calif look for the pre-cats on the 86 & up vettes. If they are missing, it fails the visual part of the test. Some are more observant than others.
Unless your smog certificate says Federal Emissions only :yesnod: I have a 49 state car (My '86 Vette) that I registered here in CA and they didn't give me any hassle about the catless Y pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions?

Quick Reply: Will eliminating pre-cats on my '89 seriously affect emisions?