C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 06:20 PM
GREENREAPER90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ???

I have a two-fold question what is the best motor oil for break in on a new motor?? The second question is which is the better syntheic Mobile 1,Royal Purple, or Red Line??? I previously purchased RED LINES syntheic to go in my old engine combonation ,but never made it past the break end (A LONG STORY :mad :mad ) I've read all the ads, but we all know as to how inflated their claims can be.I'am just trying to get some real world opinions on them.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (GREENREAPER90)

Red line is supposed to be pretty good but I refuse to use it because it is not API certified. It might pass all the API tests but without that approval on the bottle I don't trust it.

Mobil actually has better specs for wear and cold pour point, etc than does royal purple. The best thing about mobil is that you can buy it anywhere as opposed to the others which are more of a special order.

All of that being said don't use any of these for break in. Use a decent quality non synthetic for that and follow all of the well documented break in proceedures.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:56 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (GREENREAPER90)

this is a very hotly debated subject. really, you should inform yourself and research it, rather than trust someone else's opinion. there's a forum that's devoted to this sort of comparison, if you're interested.

all that said, you just can't go wrong with the new supersyn mobil1 0w40 formula. it's outstanding, and it meets some very stringent european standards not met by the other grades (or RP, or redline).
Old 04-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (MSR)

Dangit, the search engine is not working for me. What's the ballpark consensus on break-in mileage for switching to synthetic?
Old 04-13-2003, 07:06 PM
johnboy89
Instructor

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (MSR)

Is there any special procedure to follow when switching from regular oil to synthetic?

My car has 113K miles on it.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:29 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (johnboy89)

Normally the change to syn from dyno oil in a new engine would be around a 1000 miles.

To change from dyno to Syn you can change over as a normal oil change with new oil filter. Just remember, If there is any possibility of a leak - Syn WILL find it :yesnod: . It's molecular structure is much finer than dyno oil.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:30 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (johnboy89)

I wouldnt use any of them for a break-in.

But as to which is better, Ive seen RP give slightly more HP on a dyno when it was put into an SS camaro's tranny, rear, and engine. No idea on what was in the Camaro beforehand though.

But i'm using Mobil 1.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:13 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (vader86)

Dyno for break-in, follow the mileage recommendations of your builder. for the oil change periods. May I suggest reading this site: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for some information on the actual method of break-in.

Also, this site has all the info you need on oil http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Mobil1 is my choice in lubricants. Bob's site will help you make the decision for yourself. :cheers:
Old 04-13-2003, 11:40 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (vader86)

vader, i personally did some of the dyno testing for royal purple. they brought 2 vehicles, one was a grand prix gtp, the other a dualie pickup... i think it was a 454, but i can't remember for sure.

anyhow, based on how the tests were performed, i can tell you this: don't put any faith in oil comparison dyno tests.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 PM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:withstupid:

Also, don't forget guys that full race oils, brake pads, heim joints, etc. etc. are designed for one purpose...performance. This stuff is NOT designed for street use. Don't expect to get the same long term perfomance and life out of your motor, brake components, suspension etc. using full race parts/fluids. The RL stuff may be good for getting the last HP out of a given motor, but guaranteed, that oil is purged after each day or event at the longest. Multiple cold starts, stop and go, etc. are what Mobil 1 for instance can handle. Lubrizol makes a lot of the synthetic additives for all the major and some of the "boutique" oil manufacturers and marketeers. I've known and competed with one of their engineers for many years, when I asked which oil to use, he declined and would only tell me that if I gave him a specific brand, and it was a "good one", he would acknowledge it. I told him Mobil 1, and he simply said that it was one of the very best that they had tested. We stopped the discussion right there. So bottom line is that it's your car, you can run and believe anything, any claim you want.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:47 AM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ??? (h rocks)

Street? Mobil 1 :yesnod:
Old 04-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobile 1, for the street. GM engineers had it right.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ???

Quick Reply: Best Syntheic motor oil Royal Purple ,Mobile 1, or Red Line ???