C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:13 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail?

Title says it all! I know there's a special tool GM uses, but what other options are there? TIA! :)
Old 04-17-2003, 07:18 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (cprgmr)

What year vette we tlaking about?
I didn't need to use nothign special on my '85.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:29 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (cprgmr)

'93 LT1 :)
Old 04-17-2003, 07:32 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

sawzall!!!! :lol:
Old 04-17-2003, 07:41 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Are you talking about the braided lines?
I used a $3.99 fuel line tool from Advance Auto...needed one right away. It's for the GM 5/16" and 3/8" line.

[Modified by sumoboy, 7:58 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 07:45 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (sumoboy)

Are you talking about the braided lines?
Yep, where the braided lines meet the fuel rail (with the "quick connect" fittings).
Old 04-17-2003, 08:00 PM
sumoboy
Racer

If you get this tool, do you know how it works? No instructions.
Let me know. I'll fill you in. :thumbs:

KD Tools #3321

[Modified by sumoboy, 8:00 PM 4/17/2003]

[Modified by sumoboy, 8:02 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 08:22 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (sumoboy)

3.99 from autozone is better than 10.00 from an online source I found. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Now for the secret - wanna let me in on how to use it? ;)
Old 04-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Close the tool around the hard line, flange towards connector. push connector/braided line towards tool while sliding tool towards the connector, the flange will disappear into the fitting and release the clips, sometimes you can feel this, then pull the braided line away from the hard line. You may need to try and try again, "quick" connect lines are not always quick disconnect.

When you get it disconnected you will see why the tool works better when you first push (doesn't have to hard, you will feel it stop where it needs to be)the braided line further onto the hard line. There is lip on the hard line will block the tool from going deep enough to release the clips.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:00 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (Ski2Tee)

Why are you disconnecting thew fuel lines? The only reason I can think of is that they are broken and leaking, or you want to replace the fuel rails. Otherwise, just pop the fuel rails out of the intake manifold with the injectors connected, and lay over to the side while you do your engine work.

~ Purp :thumbs:
Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (PurpleC4)

Be sure you put some oil on the O rings on the male ends of the quick disconnect fittings. This will prevent a possible fuel leak at the fitting upon the reinstall.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:55 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (ittlfly)

The fittings are under the rubber covers (black and white) at the end of the braided lines.white is the inlet and the black the return. Just roll the rings off and you will see the connections. Release the pressure first at the schrader valve.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:22 PM
SonnyinVA
Melting Slicks

i got a similar tool from sears. not craftsmand brand but worked very well and was cheap.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail? (PurpleC4)

Why are you disconnecting thew fuel lines? The only reason I can think of is that they are broken and leaking, or you want to replace the fuel rails. Otherwise, just pop the fuel rails out of the intake manifold with the injectors connected, and lay over to the side while you do your engine work.

~ Purp :thumbs:
I have a complete engine that I got and the guy took a sawzall to the fuel lines. I'm going to be starting the tear down this weekend and I'd like to get the "buzzed" fuel lines off of the rail. ;)
Old 04-18-2003, 01:16 AM
LT4CEZ51
Advanced

Although probably not the way I would do it at any other time, I've cut the cap from a 1 Liter bottle of Mountain Dew into a tool to pop 'em off at 3 AM during an engine swap in a friend's car. Silly, but it works. You just need something to disengage the barbs on the fitting. Obviously, I would recommend the cheap available tools for this process, but there are other options. :)
Old 04-18-2003, 09:40 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

I used some tool named Clay at the shop!

Get notified of new replies

To What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail?

Quick Reply: What tool did you use to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail?