C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct?

I've read alot of posts on how to bleed the hydraulic clutch system on a C4 Vette. Everyone seems to have a slightly different idea. Since I'm changing my slave cylinder I want to make sure I get it right.

My GM service manual hasn't arrived yet so I can't use it for reference. I do have access to Mitchell on Demand which is the next best thing to the factory manual IMO. Here's what MOD says I should do:

1. Disconnect battery. Remove PCM from bracket for access to clutch master cylinder for filling. Fill fluid reservoir. Remove clutch master cylinder cap and moisture barrier. Install cap without moisture barrier. Lightly press clutch pedal to release air trapped in system through master cylinder.

2. Remove cap. Install moisture barrier and cap. Raise and support vehicle. Remove actuator cylinder nuts. Remove push rod and actuator cylinder from clutch housing (DO NOT disconnect line from actuator cylinder). Remove line from retaining clip. Remove bleed screw dust cap from actuator cylinder.

3. Fully depress clutch pedal and open bleed screw. Close bleed screw and release clutch pedal. Repeat this step until no air exits from bleed screw. Fill reservoir. Reinstall PCM.
I'm not sure about doing "step #3" with the actuator cylinder unbolted from the clutch housing. Won't that drive the slave piston hard against the end of the cylinder posibly damaging something? I know some other cars that if you do this it blows the end off the slave.

Has anyone tried this procedure???

Thanks

Old 04-29-2003, 10:54 AM
navigate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct? (Atok)

I just did this same job last month. Because I was working alone, and had no one to depress the clutch pedal, I cut a small 1x3 to the length I wanted placing the clutch pedal in a depressed position.

I installed a new master cylinder while I was at it, and bolted the slave cylinder to the bell housing. Filling the master cylinder, I depressed the clutch pedel, holding it down with the board I mention above.

Climbed under the car, bled the fluid until it stopped dripping (only a few sec). Close the bleed valve. Then, lifted the clutch pedal, refilled the master cylinder, and depressed/locked down, once again. Under the car, open the bleeder valve, same procedure. After 5 or 6 times, the slave cylinder was void of any air, and the system has worked fine since.

I personally would not suggest you try to bleed the air from the system, unless the slave cylinder is bolted in place. Hope this helps.
Nav
Old 04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct? (navigate)

I was worried as hell about the same thing. I've never had a car before that was supposed to have the slave bled while NOT installed. If I did that on my thirdgens, I'd ruin the slave the first time I pushed in the pedal.

But that's how you do it with these cars. I just did mine last week. And the week before. And the week before that. :rolleyes:

The first time you push in that pedal the slave cylinder is going to pop out a couple inches and make you all nervous. After that just keep going through the procedure. It's a bit difficult bolting the slave into place with the rod sticking out so far, but it's not too bad. If you bleed it with it installed, your bleeder screw will be the lowest point of the slave and it will be pretty close to impossible to get the air out of it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct?

Quick Reply: 1995 Clutch Bleeding Procedure - Is this Correct?