C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Mark L. Warner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs

I am rebuilding my L98 motor ('88) that has 114,000 miles. i am debating whether to spend the money on a new distributor or just freshen up the components (cap, rotor, module, wires, etc.). is it necessary to get a new distributor? how do you tell if the old one is too worn? i have a screw down cap, and I am having trouble finding any aftermarket caps that are screw-down and not the spring loaded clips. are all of these HEI caps the same size? can I just buy one with clips and put my screws in? also, anything to look out out for with aftermarket center-bolt valve covers on a 'Vette? my stock valve covers pass a little bit of oil out the PCV grommet, because I removed the baffle for my 1.6 roller rockers. is it neccesary to get the $300 fluidamprs or is a high-performance stock-type damper (about $150) good enough? any opinions on "rapid-fire" vs bosch "+4" plugs? - Thanks guys! :hurray:
Old 05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs (Mark L. Warner)

:seeya Welcome to the forum Mark. I'll add my $.02 worth. Your Dist. is probably OK. Accel makes cap, and rotor for it; use MSD wires. Paceperformance has good prices on valve covers if you want new ones. Stock damper is ok unless you plan on doing a lot of racing. NGK plugs seem to be the favorite on the forum.

:chevy

[Modified by Curveit, 5:17 PM 5/2/2003]
Old 05-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs (Curveit)

Your distributor is most likely fine- I pulled my `84 and it was still good with 170,000 mi on it. But to be sure, you want to look at the gear and I think also check the shaft for play. but basically I doubt it is an issue.

Otherwise: module, coil, rotor & cap, wires and plugs. That should be good.

Recheck your timing (if you have a light) since you're in the mood, and make sure the rubber on your distributor is unbroken, cracked or otherwise damaged. Then you should be good and can spend your money on other things.

And for $20, it might be preventative to swap out 02 sensors just for the hell of it.

:D

[Modified by Ramanstud, 5:22 PM 5/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs

Quick Reply: More engine questions - Distributor, valve covers, harmonic damper, plugs