C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 10:07 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default fuel injector cleaner

Does this stuff work? Does it clean the throttle body or do you need to buy air intake cleaner and spray it on the throttle body? I went to Autozone looking for air intake/throttle body cleaner and they didn't sell any. The kid working there said the fuel injector cleaner you pour into your gas tank does basically the same thing. I am skeptical. Is this stuff of any benefit? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM
OnDVirg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (midget)

It doesn't hurt, but if you're buying a big name gas like Chevron, they add a lot of that stuff already. Gas is injected directly over the valves, so it doesn't go anywhere near the throttle body. Putting injector cleaner in your gas won't help clean the throttle body at all. You can probably use a little carb cleaner to spray behind the TB butterflies then wipe out the gunk. If it's real bad, you may need to remove and soak.

I think there's a tech item on this site that explains how to clean TB's :cheers:
Old 05-09-2003, 12:23 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (OnDVirg)

:iagree:
Fuel doesn't go thru the TB.
If this is the advice the parts guy gave you, go to a different store !
They should know at least this
Old 05-09-2003, 01:20 PM
BookSmart
Instructor

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (corvette-pilot)

It works. This weekend I put a bottle in my vette. I was going on a long raod trip. Before the trip I had done my EGR. After I did this the car was starting super hard. I was having to give it 1/3 throttle to get it to start. After driving nearly the 400 miles on that tank my car now fires up like a dream.

Cleaner in the gas tank may clean the valves some what but mostly just the injector tips. If you want a good upper intake clean go to a dealer or find out if anyone in your aera does BG fuel cleaning. Not Barry Grant. What they do is insert a injector line in front of the throttle boby after the MAF. You run the car at 2K-3K RPM till all the fuel cleaner is used up. The cost at the dealership that I worked at was around $125. After we did this to cars they ran better idled better and you could see that the Intake and TB were a LOT cleaner. But this is a upper intake clean not a fuel injector clean. Although we also put fuel injector clean in the tank.

Fuel cleaner in the tank will probally accomplish what you are looking for.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (BookSmart)

I called a local GM dealer about a fuel injection cleaning and they recommended using a particular off the shelf additive, I think it was Chevron with some other name. They siad it is the same as what they offer but cheaper.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:32 PM
jojog
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (midget)

BG makes a tank additive and it is good but not cheap - $22-23 a can. It also removes carbon deposits if used regularly and should be used right before you change the oil. Do a google search for your local distributor. :thumbs:
Old 05-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (jojog)

BG makes a tank additive and it is good but not cheap - $22-23 a can. It also removes carbon deposits if used regularly and should be used right before you change the oil. Do a google search for your local distributor. :thumbs:
That would be "BG 44K", probably about the best in-the-tank injector cleaner out there. I believe it is safe for C4 injectors, also. Have to be careful what kind of solvents are in the stuff because our injectors have their wires bathed in fuel and some solvents can eat away the insulation off the wire and that is not a good thing. Chevron techron is safe, Redline Complete Fuel Sytem Cleaner is safe, and the SeaFoam process is reputed to be safe as well (but a pain in the **** to perform).
Old 05-09-2003, 05:34 PM
OleDog
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (Dolfan)

Chevron Techtron in the gas tank, if you have Bosch Injectors. Throttle body gets cleaned with Throttle Body cleaner.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Default Re: fuel injector cleaner (OleDog)

I agree with the positive comments on Chevron Techtron fuel injector cleaner. I use it in all my multi port engines (Chevy & Chrysler). Is is not the cheapest brand available, but works well for me when used about every 6 months. Try it...you may like it!

Get notified of new replies

To fuel injector cleaner

Quick Reply: fuel injector cleaner