C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:54 PM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV

It was suggested in my previous post concerning exhaust gaskets, to not use gaskets and use this:PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Has anyone used this long term? I don't want to install this in lieu of an exhaust/header gasket, only to be scraping it off 18 months later due to an exhaust leak. Inquiring if anyone has used this with a long period succssful installation (not repeated to obtain longevity).

Thanks for the feedback.

[Modified by gene284, 7:57 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 08:31 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV (gene284)

Use it with a gasket. I put the Copper RTV on each sie of my Copper collector and header gaskets. Works well when used with the collector paper gaskets as well. Letting it setup is key, give it at least 12 hours prior to exposing it to use...longer is even better (24 hrs).
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV (Vette92)

i agree i use to use it as a gasket only and yes it does work but works much better with a gasket.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:54 PM
MyZ51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV (patsnitrovette)

I agree, use it with gaskets, this is how I do all my header gaskets...
be sure and retorque bolts after engine warm up.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:54 AM
jefft84
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV (gene284)

I used to use it but was introduced to a much better product called acusti-seal it is sold at napa through the walker exhaust line a far superior product that when used with a gasket will last almost forever. It can be used without a gasket on a decent metal to metal surfacebut does work best with a gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV

Quick Reply: Any long term experience with PERMATEX® ULTRA COPPER® Hi-Temp RTV