C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gas smell on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Gregory VanLare
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Gas smell on start up.

When I start may 85 I have a strong smell of gas initially. Yesterday I noticed a small wet gas spot under the rear after it idled a minute in the drive. I drove all day and smelled it each time I started up for a few minutes then it was gone. Didn't see any more leaks though?? What should I be looking at? :confused:
Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Mach85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gas smell on start up. (Gregory VanLare)

Is it running any different? It could be alot of things MAF going bad, CAT Backing up not burning off,Fuel Pressure Reg, leaking injector, I would do a fuel pressure check on the rail and clamp off the return line and see if the pressure drops. Do you have a manual?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:18 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Gas smell on start up. (Mach85)

Is it running any different? It could be alot of things MAF going bad, CAT Backing up not burning off,Fuel Pressure Reg, leaking injector, I would do a fuel pressure check on the rail and clamp off the return line and see if the pressure drops. Do you have a manual?
:iagree: ... 9/10 times, this is either leaky injectors (check by a leakdown test as stated above), or a broken diaghram in the fuel pressure regulator. To check the second option, simply remove the vacuum connection to the FPR, with the car running. If fuel sprays out, the diaghram is broken.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas smell on start up.

Quick Reply: Gas smell on start up.