C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lt1 clutch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 07:56 PM
87Z-ya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 clutch replacement?

Has anyone replaced there own clutch? I recently bought a 94 and it needs to be replaced. I remember reading somewhere before I bought the car that the lt1's used a dual mass flywheel and that there were aftermarket companies using the 4+3 flywheel and clutch with the ZF. Any suggestions? Also can the stock wheel be resurfaced? Just wanted some input before I tear it apart. :grouphug:
Old 05-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Stingray1970
Racer

Default Re: Lt1 clutch replacement? (87Z-ya)

The dual mass should not be resurfaced. You have three choices, reuse it if it is still good, replace it with another dual mass, or convert it to a single mass, and there are many choices on the latter. I have mine apart now converting it to a single mass. I chose to install an LT-1 F body flywheel ( .090 machined off the face ), F body disc and a stock Corvette p/plate. If you use a new stock p/plate it will come with a new release bearing. I chose to replace the engine rear main seal, trans front and rear seals, U joints and a Ripper shifter. I wanted to do everything I could to lessen the odds of future problems, oil leaks ect.
Hope this helps
Old 05-24-2003, 12:52 AM
87Z-ya
Racer

Default Re: Lt1 clutch replacement? (Stingray1970)

Why did you have the new wheel Resurfaced? I plan to use a centerforce clutch. I just have no clue about the flywheel. I have a neutral balance, one piece rearmain, 168 tooth wheel sitting in my garage from a pick up. Is the lt1 vette clutch a push or pull type? Is the input shaft 26 spline?
Old 05-24-2003, 06:54 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Just dont have the flywheel resurfaced... i did on mine.... rattles and vibrates now especially at low revs with the a/c on. :nonod:
Old 05-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Stingray1970
Racer

The F body LT-! flywheel is .090 too thick to be used in a Corvette application, so .090 has to be machined off for proper fitment. This is a necessity with the F body flywheel. As to the truck flywheel being the same, I don't know. The casting number on my LT-1 flywheel is 10125380A. I personally wouldn't chance it. If you are going to convert it to a SM the flywheel will be a machined F body or an aluminum Fidenza. I haven't been satisified with aluminum in the past. BTW the SM weighs 38lbs and the maachined F body weighs 19 lbs. The disc is a 26 spline and the p/plate is the pull type.
Gene
Old 05-24-2003, 02:43 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lt1 clutch replacement? (Stingray1970)

Another option is to go with the aluminum F/W from Carolina Clutch. I have one at home on the garage floor with a new sprung hub disk but no time to install it just yet. I can also attest to the folly of resurfacing the dual mass. Mine intermittently growls like an old junk yard dog at a stop light. On the other hand I've heard that as a general rule if you don't resurface it might chatter after install. Mine only had 69K on it, I usually get about 150 - 160K out of a clutch so I decided to try it. Worked ok for about 2000 miles then started makin' weird noises.
good luck
dr
Old 05-24-2003, 03:21 PM
buell_freak
Instructor

I just put a spec stage III clutch with a single mass aluminum flywheel....I did it in drive Way (not by choice) with simple hand tools and a torq wrench.....any way I agree with not resurfacing the flywheel....If you call spec you can by a complete single mass set-up ready to bolt on....let me tell you the difference is awsome, I did not believe all the hype until I had one....for what it is worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Lt1 clutch replacement?

Quick Reply: Lt1 clutch replacement?