C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch kit + labor

Old 05-28-2003, 02:39 PM
ChandlerL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch kit + labor

I just brought in my 91 C4 for a new clutch. What is the fair market price I should be paying for the kit and the install at a mechanic shop?

I was told the kit they will be installing tommorow is from Borg&Beck? or Borg-Warner (now I'm unsure). The shop told me that this kit was an OEM part for GM and just as good if not better.

[Modified by ChandlerL, 2:48 PM 5/28/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 06:28 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Clutch kit + labor (ChandlerL)

It's Borg & Beck. From what I've heard, a clutch is a clutch is a clutch. Unless you're going with a performance clutch set, then the OEM ones are all basically the same.

I paid $180 for a Luk clutch set from Autozone, and $3 for a new pilot bushing. (You should get your pilot bearing replaced.)

As for labor costs, I can't help you there, since I do the work myself. Although sometimes I call for quotes before I start the work, just to make myself feel better! :D

[Modified by CentralCoaster, 3:31 AM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 01:42 PM
ChandlerL
Advanced

Default Re: Clutch kit + labor (CentralCoaster)

Well turns out I needed a number of things done that I was able to see with my own eyes (I asked the mechanic to go over the whole car and figure out what else needs to be done). When he got it up on the lift, he called me in (they're literally right next door) to show me the stuff that was needed and let me pull the trigger on what I wanted. I decided to go for it all:

1) New Clutch
2) New Flywheel (whoa $$$) - previous owner killed this poor clutch - Flywheel was scorched to holy hell
3) New Main Tranny Seal (leaking)
4) New Valve Gaskets (some were leaking - interestingly the labor costs between the left side vs. the right side is staggering in difference)
5) New Rotors
6) New Pads
7) Oil Change (*chuckle*)

Final Cost: $3,100.00. (Hell, the flywheel is $1,100 from GM)

[Modified by ChandlerL, 1:52 PM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clutch kit + labor (ChandlerL)

You poor SOB. A new OEM quality flywheel is available in the aftermarket for around half that ($600). An OEM quality clutch assy from Auto Zone with lifetime warranty and OEM Valeo pressure plate is about $200. Figure $800 total.

Unless you have 100K miles, you do not need rear rotors. They see no wear...even on raced cars. A front brake job takes under an hour and can be done with a $2 set of pliers and a $3 C-Clamp. You see, Corvette brakes are designed to be changed during a pitstop...simply remove one pin...none easier. Front rotors are worth $80 each, assuming you have the big 13" directional units. Std is much less. Lifetime pads at Auto Zone cost $25 for front or rear.

Be aware you are getting SCORCHED with labor & parts markup...guy. In my opinion, you should be paying about $2K total, including labor. I would suggest procuring the parts yourself from well-known sources and hand them to the service center tech. Get a firm price for labor only. :nonod:

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 2:47 PM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:00 PM
ChandlerL
Advanced

Default Re: Clutch kit + labor (Rick93Z07)

Sounds good. I'll have them get an aftermarket flywheel rather than the GM part (the shop has no problem with me procuring my own parts). And to be honest, it was me that pulled the trigger on the rotors. The rear ones, to me, did seem worn (car has 93k miles).

Thanks for the advice. It'll save me tons!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch kit + labor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch kit + labor