C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS mini ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:48 PM
ELEVENS
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: TPIS mini ram (Jet Mech)

Ahh, I just love a good, heated "I HATE TPiS" debate. I just don't understand what all the whining is about. I've probably given TPiS over $15,000 of my hard-earned loot over 2 engines, and spent at least 8 hours in discussions with Myron, Terry, Bob, Ginger, etc. over the course of 15 years. These folks are nothing but straight-shooters. TALK TO THEM, don't try to mix and match your mods. Tell them what you have, and where you want to go.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:07 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: TPIS mini ram (Bill's86Coupe)

Bill,
The intake removed was a bone stock TPI setup.

Elevens,
I don't see how this was a "I hate tpis debate". Someone strongly disagrees with their advertised numbers and I gave the most specific answer possible to the question asked by Jet Mech. My experience, what jet mech could expect if he simply replaced the TPI with the MR, 4HP. I didn't design it, build it, or write the catalog, just posted the results that directly related to the question asked.

When I called to order the MR, I was also ordering new injectors. I thought it was great that they didn't try to upsell some huge injector that I didn't need based on all the engine info I gave them (for the 350). However, based on that same engine info, I was told I would be impressed with the MR.

As I said before, I had future mods planned so I believe it was the right choice. For someone that does not have future plans it is the wrong choice. That is not TPIS' fault, it's just not clear in the literature. Not as clear as the need for their chip, which they make very clear. Or the monoblade TB that you have to "convince them to sell you one".

I love the MR on the 408 and their headers/y-pipe combo is great. Both high quality pieces. Your obviously getting good results, I like mine (well, now I do anyway) and will deal with them in the future. Jet Mech would not have been happy, I wanted to make that clear, that's why we're here :cheers:
Old 06-07-2003, 02:47 AM
reallycoolcorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lt1 manifold came after the tpis miniram. Would you call a LT1 short on torque?

We also need to understand that the TPI design will not flow above 4800rpms, and about 4200 stock. So you are limiting your h.p. potential anyway.

Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Jet Mech, I'm sure "mild 350" does not mean bone stock. It likely means exhaust, some other intake, and at least RRs (maybe head porting & cam).

I also am quite satisfied with the TPIS products I've installed though I am very careful about interpreting anyone's ads. They usually have "up to" somewhere in the HP claims.

If you are looking for a recips for L98 mods check out the mods results data page on my site. Though results may vary depending on the order of installation I believe they are fairly accurate. At least you get some idea of the magnitude of expected gains.

First off decide what you want as a goal, at least an initial goal. Then install a hi-flow exhaust, do a little intake work and maybe some RRs (ratio would depend on if you intend to do a cam change). And don't foreget a low temp stat & fan switch along with an AFPR to tune fuel flow.

If you have about $1,000 for initial mods, do exhaust, cooling and a little intake work.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:56 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jet Mech,
since you have an automatic, the super ram would be a better choice (as far as $$$$).
I'm not saying the miniram doesn't work, because it does (heck I've got one).
but to get the most out of it on an automatic car you'll have to spend more cash on the rest of the package (stall converter, exhaust, cam, and possibly head's and rear gear's).

the super ram will work pretty well with what you already have (more mod's will help even more, cam, exhaust, heads).

actually the cheapest way to go is porting the stock intake (I talking about the whole thing, base, runner's and plenum) that along with a "slightly" better cam shaft will make for a nice increase (not mind blowing, but nice).

the one big hidden cost that everyone leaves out of their advertising is custom programming. all the latest and greatest parts won't do crap without the proper air/fuel ratio. even a few mild mod's will benefit from programming, major mod's (like a different intake) require programming just to run correctly. even a ported intake should have the ecm reprogrammed.
RJ
Old 06-07-2003, 12:19 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: TPIS mini ram (65Z01)

I have a 91 Auto. Here's a list of 'wants'.

1) Want 325/350 hp & 400 ft. lbs. (at the crank) at 5200 RPM

2) Want GREAT low end torque.

3) Don't want to turn over 2200 RPM at 70 mph.

4) Don't want to turn over 5800 RPM

5) Don't care too much about gas mileage

6) I want to make the modifications in increments

Looks like I need about a hundred HP more than I've got already.
What is the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to get there? Not particularly in that order. :)

Quick Reply: TPIS mini ram