C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 horn almost got it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:05 PM
blackvette89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 horn almost got it!

i took some advise from yhis forum and grounded the horn (yellow wire) to the center nut. it worked! i only need to figure out why its not grounding with the center cap on. any troubleshooting or hints? how does this actually work within? p.s. i just (5 minutes ago) had it inspected! i grounded it when he said to blow the horn :lol: he didn't even see me do it! now i need to fix it! :confused:
Old 06-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: 89 horn almost got it! (blackvette89)

Blackvette89,
I just replacedthe steering column on my 84 and I also have a piece of wire that is grounded to the nut. Where does the other end of the wire connect to? I just bought the car and still learning.
Thank you,
Brimis :banghead:
Old 06-20-2003, 04:24 PM
blackvette89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 89 horn almost got it! (Brimis)

i don't have any piece of the wire grounded to the nut. my yellow wire goes in to a spring loaded black tube which gets deeper into the column! i hope the wheel doesn't have to come out for repair! i'm hoping we get some responses soon! this forum is usually really good and helpful :thumbs:
Old 06-20-2003, 08:16 PM
MtlSphere
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 89 horn almost got it! (blackvette89)

Okay...besides the fact that it's BLACK... LOL

The horn button has a few pieces to it. The center cap that you press has a prong right in the middle of it that goes through the back plate and contacts a metal tab. This tab is attached to the backing plate at the bottom and has an electrical connection for that wire you were grounding. On the column side of the backing plate that the horn button attaches to should have a (horizontal when the wheel is straight) metal spring tab attached to it with two small metal nuts. This spring tab contacts the inner portion of the wheel hub providing a ground. The contact point gets a little rusty and oxidized interrupting the connection.

Pressing the cap forces the prong against the tab to touch the spring tab and the horn blows...but...does the driver?

Sorry, had to!

I soldered a 14 ga wire to the spring tab and the inner wheel hub then snipped it and put insulated male/female connectors on the ends for quick disconnect and removal. Works great! Good luck!

Gotta tell ya though...was having trouble with a vacuum leak. Could NOT find the damn thing. Suddenly I decided to pull that vacuum resevoir(?) ball gizmo. Don't know why...karma? I like to think devine intervention!...I was loosening the screws for it thinking to myself "Why am I doing this"? The vacuum line is in good shape and attached solidly. I took the thing out, rolled it around in my hands and...

on the bottom out of normal view was a hole the size of a BB. WOW!! I couldn't begin to hazard a guess how that happened! But there it was. I cleaned the surface around the hole and applied a few stips of electrical tape just to seal it temporarily. I put it back together and things like climate controls and such started working really well and the hitches in the idle smoothed right out. The chain on the cruise is broken but if were intact that might start working again (I hope)!

I know...you're thinkin' "...and your point Mtl"?

You know what you're doin'. You have the skills...relax and let it come to ya.

Now tell me how to get the shifter ball off the auto stick! :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To 89 horn almost got it!

Quick Reply: 89 horn almost got it!