C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Eeeeekkk!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Eeeeekkk!

Guys,

I have had a "loose" caliper on the passenger side of my car for a while now. 1 yr+. But its really not loose, in the sense that the bolts are all tight, etc. But when I reach down and pull on the caliper I can feel the caliper move back and forth and up and down ~.25" in any given direction. The brakes work find and doesn't pull to either side.

Yesterday while cruising in the car, and next to a road divider, with the windows down I could hear the caliper jingling on the rotor, when I would hit a bump. The drivers side is moveable if pulled on, but not as much as the passengers side. Any ideas?

Almost seems like there are bushing or something that are messed up? Any ideas? Its something I at least want to make sure it working, especially at when at some of these tracks I have to get on the brakes pretty hard at the end to get it stopped after crossing the line.

I plan on a trip to the dealership this Tuesday to start getting the car ready for this weekends drags. I will probably devote a night or so to finding the root of the problem, but thought some of you might have an idea ahead of time. Thanks.

:cheers:
Old 06-23-2003, 08:51 AM
atotalnincompoop
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Eeeeekkk! (ski_dwn_it)

i'd get a new caliper :yesnod: something isn't right there, side to side play-yes, up and down-no :cheers:
Old 06-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Daniel DK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi :seeya

I bet $$$ that you need the clips for your pads... its 4 small 'S' bent pices of metal that you place between the ends of the pads and put pressure on the clamp...

heres a pic..

and some links..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=509159
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=470194

Daniel
Old 06-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Daniel DK
Burning Brakes

also check the pin that locks the pads and caliber in place, it could be worn - the clips will fix the rattle but if the pin is f'cked you could drop the caliber. The reason to the up down movement is most likely because you've been driving with it for a year without the clips...

Daniel
Old 06-23-2003, 09:23 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Eeeeekkk! (Daniel DK)

The reason to the up down movement is most likely because you've been driving with it for a year without the clips...
Daniel
Ahhhhh? Whats holding the pad in there if the clips are gone :lol: :crazy:

Keep the id-ers coming :thumbs:
Old 06-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Daniel DK
Burning Brakes

The reason to the up down movement is most likely because you've been driving with it for a year without the clips...
Daniel

Ahhhhh? Whats holding the pad in there if the clips are gone :lol: :crazy:

Keep the id-ers coming :thumbs:
are you thinking about the round clips that hold the pads in place in relation to the caliper.?? the 'S' formed clips only prevent ratteling...

:confused: the clips prevent the ratteling... ratteling of the caliper will kissup the pin that locks the pads\caliper. Ratteling may also kissup the ends of the metal part of the pads to such a degree that the caliper may fall out of the bracket...

am i still talking :crazy: ???... i'm sorry if my english isn't too good..

[Modified by Daniel DK, 3:40 PM 6/23/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Eeeeekkk!

Quick Reply: Eeeeekkk!