C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fan taking awhile to come on. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:46 AM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fan taking awhile to come on. Why?

Hey all. Yesterday, I turned on my A/C in my '87 coupe and it didn't start blowing for about a minute. It happened again last night when I turned on the vent (no a/c). That could this be? Is the fan blower on its way out? If so, is this easy to fix? I've done it on other cars before - but never on a Vette..

Thanks...
Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Fan taking awhile to come on. Why? (Sal Collaziano)

I'd bet on replacing the fan load resistor in the AC housing just above the fan as well as replace the fan speed control switch itself (unless you have digital climate controlled AC)
Old 06-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fan taking awhile to come on. Why? (BBA)

Thanks for the quick reply... I do have the digital climate control... And my fan didn't come on at all this morning.. I just got to work now.. This isn't good because it's been averaging about 97 here the past few days... :( This had to happen now...

Anyway.. I did notice that the fan seemed to come on a TINY little bit.. I felt near the vents and there was a tiny little breeze.. Kinda like it was on "1".. But I've never had it that low so I can't be sure...

What do ya think?

Thanks again...
Old 06-27-2003, 11:38 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are two delays built into the system. The first is so that the assembly can calculate the position of the air door and that delay should only happen when power has been removed such as a disconnected battery - takes about 1 to 2 minutes. The second is a 20 to 30 second sequence when a small stream of air is directed to the floor vents so that the windshield doesn't fog. If you have no blower regardless of the setting - heat or a/c - the blower module or blower motor or its circuitry is bad (check the harness connector at the blower motor for melted wires first). If this only happens when a/c is requested, the dash assembly is on the fritz.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fan taking awhile to come on. Why? (SunCr)

I just went to lunch and on the way out, I had no blower at all. Not for a/c or vent. On the way back, about 5 minutes driving, the blower came on. I turned on the a/c and all was fine. Before I got out of the car, I shut it off and then turned it on again. It seems (as this has happened twice now) that once it's been on, it'll have no problem coming BACK on. But when I get back in the car to go home later on today, I'll have no blower for awhile...

Does this narrow down any possibilities?

Thanks for all the help so far.. I hope this is something that I can fix myself. I've put so much money into this car already - only to be For Sale for only $2000.00 more than I've spent during the past 6 months...
Old 06-27-2003, 11:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

With no blower at all, it's usually the module, but with an intermittent, check wiring at the module (on top of the evaporator and the ground circuit; kinda below it, on the frame. Note that the ground for the module is shared with the blower motor so you might want to open the loom and make sure the splice is good. It's the black wire, so it's easy to trace from the blower motor connector and I'd start there (and you might as well make sure the hot side is in good shape too - purple if I remember correctly). I can't remember all of the work you had done on your car, but anytime someone messes around an engine compartment there's a possibility that a wire or two got nicked, broken or someone spliced something back together with a cheapo crimp. Most intermittents are because of the latter, so look closely. If you find wires pieced together without any solder, that's probably the cause.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:58 PM
carcruse
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Experienced the same situation a few months ago with my Sonoma Pickup and it turned out be be a problem with the blower motor. Since then it comes on right away and at the right speed every time.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fan taking awhile to come on. Why? (SunCr)

Thank you. Now I just need some spare time...

Get notified of new replies

To Fan taking awhile to come on. Why?

Quick Reply: Fan taking awhile to come on. Why?