C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

crane's powermax 2050 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:33 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default crane's powermax 2050 cam?

i have an 86E coupe and am getting ready to start rebuilding it. i was wandering if anyone has used any of crane cam's powermax series? they are supposed to be built specifically for computer controlled cars, so i was thinking of going with a powermax 2050. http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/D...1=Display+Card
would this be a good cam for a daily driven 86 with stock convertor? i haven't decided quite yet, but i'm changing the heads and putting 1.6 RR's on, and probably won't right now, but in the near future put a better flowing intake, runners, and plenum on it. so, do i need a little bit bigger cam, or would this one work :D
Old 07-12-2003, 10:25 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: crane's powermax 2050 cam? (corvettemaster)

Hmm. Lemme put things this way.

I have an 85, still have iron heads, although they are a different casting.

Rebuild #1 got a 214/224, 0.442/0.465, 112 LSA with 1.6 rockers.

Rebuild #2 got a Crane CompuCam 2040 (now a powermax 2040 I suppose...)

I am much more happy with driving around rebuild #2 than rebuild #1. Both rebuilds had custom chips which maxed out performance with each combo. With my rebuild #2 that I am currently driving around, I can feel a lack of power come in around 5,000 RPM...and I really attribute that to the TPI setup. With the rebuild #1, my power seemed to start about 800-1000 RPM later in the powerband and I remember still having power drop around the same time. I remember this because I was researching ways to mess with the tranny on lowering my shiftpoints.

With a MAF setup, I can tell you the 2040 idled fine. However, there was always more to be expected with the stock chip. I never tweaked the MAF combo with the 2040 because I had already gone to speed density.

The 2050 would probably be a *fair* choice, depending on what you final goals are. If you are driving it daily in stop and go like I do, about 30 minutes to and from work, you might want the milder grind...I guess you really need back to back info on the 2040 and the 2050, which I can't provide.

BTW, just keep in mind that sometimes future mods take a while to happen. I drove around with the 214/224 for a fair amount of time because I was going to put on a set of better flowing heads, but I never had the chance. For the relatively low price on non-roller cams, I would almost settle on a cam now for your current combo and another one later when the combo is finalized. JMHO Good luck, -Matt

Quick Reply: crane's powermax 2050 cam?