C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No second gear in my '85 700R4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 10:05 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Default No second gear in my '85 700R4

Last night I was cruising back from a friends BBQ. I was at a light and the guy in the pickup next to me wanted to go at it off the light. So the kid in me nailed it and as it was upshifting to second the rpms just shot up with no shift to second. When I let off it shifted into third. So on the way home it would just shift from first to third but I had to get my speed up for it to do it. I don't know if it's in the convertor, servo or elsewhere. Doesn't seem like a broken convertor because I get a good shift into third with no overreving. This trans has 140K miles on it and other than a leak it has served me well. It was rebuilt by the dealer around '88 because the front pump had a seal leak. Looks like I'm in for a day of removing it and sending it out to my friend for a rebuild. He owns a trans shop. I actually liked the way it has been shifting the entire time it has worked for me. I don't want to put a shift kit or change the firmness of the shifting. It was a firm shifting trans to begin with. Since I'm taking it out I can now put in the 3.08 posi I've got sitting on the shelf. I was waiting for the trans to need a rebuild before putting in the new rear. My trans leak was the large seal of the pump. I got to tell you I have put this trans through a lot from day one. But I always changed the fluid and filter every couple of years. I hardly drive it much anymore. I may put 2500 miles on it a year now since about 8 yrs. ago when it used to be my daily driver. Any comments appreciated.
:banghead:
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No second gear in my '85 700R4 (MrRenoman)

Hope none of the clutches burned up. When you take out the dipstick smell it and if it smells really badly and burned it is probably time for a rebuild. When my tranny went out it started making a faint yet strange noise. Is yours making a noise?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

140K.. Time for a rebuild.. :yesnod: I would get a hold of these people and get one built. http://www.pro-built.net/
Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My money is on a bad 2-4 band or you snapped the lug off that holds one side of the 2-4 band into place. The lug pushes up through the valvebody.

The only thing I kept messing up on one of my 700R4's was that lug. I snapped it 2 times, probably from inexperience rebuilding trannies. I am sure if I had researched a little moe about the accumulator, I wouldn't have had that problem.

BTW, if it is the 2-4 band, you will only have 1st and third gears.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:29 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No second gear in my '85 700R4 (HighHopes85)

My money is on a bad 2-4 band or you snapped the lug off that holds one side of the 2-4 band into place. The lug pushes up through the valvebody.

That's all I'm getting, is 1 and 3. And what seems to be, no overdrive. When I try to accelerate from 3 it wants to shift to 2 but there is nothing but revs, when I let off it upshifts. Seems like you've had some experience with this. I think I got my moneys worth out of this trans. I'm going to ask my tranny friend, I'm sure he will agree with you.

:(
Old 07-21-2003, 01:43 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No second gear in my '85 700R4 (Vette9d1)

Hope none of the clutches burned up. When you take out the dipstick smell it and if it smells really badly and burned it is probably time for a rebuild. When my tranny went out it started making a faint yet strange noise. Is yours making a noise?
I've never had any slipping in the trans, however I was getting some drivetrain knock since the engine seems to want to hunt around at part throttle. So when it's in overdrive at part throttle I would get some clunking but I just contributed that to a worn drivetrain. I didn't check the fluid, I don't expect any burnt smell, I think something just broke as mentioned in a previous post. This trans has always been reliable with 2nd gear chirp whenever I wanted it. I think I just broke something. I'll post what my tranny guy thinks what happened. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:49 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI

My car also hunted and kinda (spooled???) when it snapped,m and then driving it home was somewhat like "First gear normal, shift but nothing really grabbed and it felt like it was spooling up, third gear normal, nothing after the shift to fourth, so I put it back into manual third"

The band is accessible by removing the front pump and the valvebody. Once the tranny is out, it doesn't take too long to replace jusat the band, because it is pretty close behind the front pump. Only you can make the decision whether to rebuild it all, or just fix what got broken. Good luck, -Matt
Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No second gear in my '85 700R4 (HighHopes85)

The only thing I kept messing up on one of my 700R4's was that lug. I snapped it 2 times, probably from inexperience rebuilding trannies. I am sure if I had researched a little moe about the accumulator, I wouldn't have had that problem.

My trans friend agrees it's the 2-4 band, the lug is busted. So out it comes. Thanks for replies.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Probuilt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lost 2nd & 4th all at once?, then it is a broken band.

Get notified of new replies

To No second gear in my '85 700R4

Quick Reply: No second gear in my '85 700R4