C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:51 AM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO

I found this info and I figured you guys might like to look it over, now the first thing I want to point out is where the DATA came from. and KEEP IN MIND ITS REAR WHEEL HP from a SBC 350 engine
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/winter01/dyno/

The engine was basically the same,in all the test except for the intake manifold, consisting of a ZZ4 crate motor, AFR190 heads, LT4 HOT cam, and SLP 1-3/4" SS headers. Trans is a 700r4 with a Vigilante 2800 stall converter. The Engine Control Module (ECM) was a '92 TPI stock ECM (MAP/speed-density) with a modified EPROM.

I HAVE GONE TRU AND WILL PICKED OUT THE IMPORTANT POINTS TO SAVE YOU TIME IN THE CHARTs AND GRAPHS ON THE SITE

TPI engine.....283 PEAK rwhp @4800rpm peak
AVG. TQ 291.5
AVG HP 269.5

miniram
303 PEAK rwhp @6200rpm peak
AVG. TQ 285.8
AVG HP 269.1
IT LOST 29 HP at 3800 rpm and MADE 48 MORE HP THAN THE stock TPI at 6300 RPM

stealth ram
342 PEAK rwhp @6400rpm
AVG. TQ 319
AVG HP 300 it lost 28 hp at 3600 rpm BUT GAINED 66 HP AT 6600 RPM
over the stock TPI
342 rear wheel hp is aproximatly equal to 427 flywheel HP FROM A 350 SBC ENGINE, figuring a 20% driveline loss rate.

the use of a longer duration cam and only measureing PEAK HP would tend to benefit the miniram and STEALTH RAM intakes to a MUCH GREATER extent than the TPI, THATS HOW claims of gains of 100hp are made for some intake combos, while its TRUE that you can make in excess of a HUNDRED EXTRA hp at 6600rpms is due more to the TPI not being able to flow air (LOSSES)
:cool:

[Modified by grumpyvette, 5:06 PM 8/4/2003]
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO (grumpyvette)

Good info :cheers: .

Looks like I'm doing pretty good with my stock L98 heads/cam pulling
251RWHP@4400, 313RWTRQ@3800. And that's just with a superram intake, 1 5/8" LPE headers/exhaust, (Hi-FLow Cat), and bolt-ons.

How do you get an average for your HP and torque? What rpm's do you average between?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:09 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO (MrNuke)

"How do you get an average for your HP and torque? What rpm's do you average between?"

I did none of the math,dyno time,or averageing, I only posted the exact same data thats on the site listed in the post above in condensed form to make it easier to follow the results

Old 08-04-2003, 01:40 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good information Grumpy. You're always looking for angles! :cheers:

Looks like the MR is a big old looser in that test. Spend 1K to gain 11.5hp????? to spin it another 1400 RPM????? :(

The stealthram is has some nice gains.

The only thing I would like to see on the test, and can't imagine why they did not show it was the Super Ram in with the mix. If Ralph or one of the other guys has their setups it would be nice to see how they compare. I have mine from my 350, but the top rings were all shot at the time and that would not be a good comparison.

Maybe one of those guys will share the information with us.

Good job with the information.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:47 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO (ski_dwn_it)

it looks like the TPI configuration was:

"The TPI currently consists of 58mm TB, fully ported plenum, AS&M largetube runners, and highly ported Edelbrock base"

And they mention that "nothing was changed between runs" ....Not sure how that would effect the numbers, but tuning must be done to given a equal representation for each intake. Especially on a Speed Density car. If it were a MAF system, then I would probably dismiss the tune a little more, but definately not on a MAP based car.

Just some thoughts.
:cheers:
Old 08-04-2003, 02:05 PM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...

It has been obvious to me for a long time that the biggest bottle-neck in L98's is the TPI induction system since it was designed for a 305 C.I. Chevy, not a 350. It would be interesting to see a fully ported Chevy TPI (like mine) on the dyno with the same motor. I'm reasonably sure it doesn't flow enough to make another 66 HP at 6200 RPM but I'm not losing 28 HP at a much more usable 3600 RPM either.

BIG JIM
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO (BIG JIM 54)

BIG JIM 54
IT WAS A PORTED TPI,IT STATES IN THE DYNO SHEET THAT...

"The TPI currently consists of 58mm TB, fully ported plenum, AS&M largetube runners, and highly ported Edelbrock base" ........................................ ......a stock TPI would have been more than 25hp-30hp lower according to most tests Ive seen[b] ......................................th at also means that both the miniram and STEALTH RAM would produce an ADDITIONAL 25-30 hp MORE if compared to a untouched STOCK TPI

[Modified by grumpyvette, 10:03 PM 8/4/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO

Quick Reply: TPI vs MINIRAM vs STEALTHRAM DYNO INFO