C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference

Anyone else have a problem with exhaust pipe hitting convertible X-brace. How did you solve it.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 03:14 PM
owen lancaster
Advanced

Default Re: Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference (Five Window)

have '96 vert. and installed the Corsa Cat back system and had vibration on installation but found it hitting the x brace. Repositioned exhaust and it clears the x brace perfectly.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:24 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference (owen lancaster)

I actually had the front section of the exhaust system hitting the X-Brace, that exhaust section just after the heathers.

The car would vibrate... especially when flooring the pedal to the metal :jester

Anyway's, after checking under the car I noticed that the exhaust pipe had been cut and re welded about 3 mm/0.3 cm .. ok ok, for you Imperial guys, about 1/4 of an inch lower then what is should of been and was sitting on the X-Brace.

INSTEAD of cutting the Exhaust and re welding.. I simply put 2 or 3 washing over the 4 bolts that holds the top right corner of my X brace to the frame and it created a bigger gap between the X brace and the Exhaust pipe.
(forgot to mention that the exhaust pipe was cut on passenger side of the car)

Now the pipe doesn't even touch the X brace and I don't have that weird vibration through the car.

Hope this helps you guys!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:25 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference (Five Window)

Both of my cars have the x-brace and are lowered. This means that they sometimes bottom out on the x-brace. I just remove the x-brace and rebend it so it is square (all corners sit equal on level floor so it goes on with no preload) and reinstall. I find that the brace only hits when it has been pushed up from bottoming out, not because of an exhaust problem. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference

Quick Reply: Exhaust pipe to X-brace interference