C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ?

Old 08-17-2003, 01:12 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ?

I already have 400rwhp on my 396 LT-1 form More Performance. It is plenty strong with SRP pistons, steel crank Eagle rods etc, but What supercharger can I use, how much boost, and do any of the coolers flow enough to get 500rwhp?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 AM
black bart
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (steve40th)

Have you considered nitrous your engine is not a canadidate for supercharging. If you put a blower on it you probably won't need a cooler because you will be running so little boost that it won't make much heat.
If you plan on using pump gas about 5lbs. or less would be all you can use and even then I would use a MSD boost retard to ward off detonation.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (black bart)

Steve,
Don't do it because you will be disappointed for spent big $ on the supercharger and not making a lot more power you want.

1) your c/r is to high will not be able to run much boost
2) your 93LT1 got the worse belt routing 1992-1993
3) 1994-1996 is a little diff and seem to be a little better
4) your stroker put out so much torque and spin so fast when you stomp on it.
5) you stomped it there your belt slipaged.

My 93LT1 383 has a 14 psi pulley and only getting 3-4 psi at WOT 6000rpm and the boost guage shown inconsistency up and down, because of the belt slipaged. That is why I have already started to do a custom cog set up. I am installing it yesterday all day is is a pain in the assssssssssssssssssssss to do it. That the only can make me happy when it all done.

PS. Also you cannot tune a car for fuel with boost pumping up and down

Bruce

[Modified by Bruce, 8:59 AM 8/17/2003]

[Modified by Bruce, 8:59 AM 8/17/2003]

[Modified by Bruce, 9:24 AM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (Bruce)

Thanks, I guess NOS is the way to go. Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 10:21 PM
GS387LPE
Instructor

Well, have you talked to the guys at More about the car? I'm running a LPE 383 LT-4 with 10.8 compression and I'm running 5lbs. of boost on all forged internals from LPE and I'm running a custom built intercooler... altogether (not yet dynoed, but from talking to the boys at More Performance here in charlotte) I should be expecting in the range of 550 hp rather than the 450 lingenfelter sent the car out with. I'm still running stock injectors and no msd box, but both are very soon to be replaced! I'm also wanting to drop on long tubes and high flow cats at the same time, then a tuning and I'm going to bump my timeing and have the computer reprogrammed. I'd say not to run over 5lbs on your compression if you end up that route... don't wanna kill anything! Then again, those comments above
:iagree: may be an issue, I'm not familiar with the belt routing differances on 96 vs. 93... I had a 92, but everything was stock on that one. Best of luck for whichever you go with! I just saw another 40th car in there a few weeks back, nice looking car, hear that one is packing some nice power as well!

[Modified by GS387LPE, 10:27 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 10:48 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (GS387LPE)

I havent talked to Mike yet at More's. I see allot of Blowers for ZO6's etc which have high compression, and the internals I have will handle it. What I need to know is what intercooler will actually flow enough air to meet the demands of the motor? Shalin Patel had 555 rwhp with his 383 Vortech Intercooled car, I believe. But his compression was around 9 to 1. Well, I will see, and I have the 94 pulleys etc, I dont know what the difference could be.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:46 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Shalin also was pushing about 14 PSI through it.
and it was a 355
Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (bill mcdonald)

Sorry, I thought he was running a 383. I do know he was running a ZZ9 cam. I have his engine specs somewhere.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:17 AM
black bart
Drifting

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (GS387LPE)

Well, have you talked to the guys at More about the car? I'm running a LPE 383 LT-4 with 10.8 compression and I'm running 5lbs. of boost on all forged internals from LPE and I'm running a custom built intercooler... altogether (not yet dynoed, but from talking to the boys at More Performance here in charlotte) I should be expecting in the range of 550 hp rather than the 450 lingenfelter sent the car out with. I'm still running stock injectors and no msd box, but both are very soon to be replaced! I'm also wanting to drop on long tubes and high flow cats at the same time, then a tuning and I'm going to bump my timeing and have the computer reprogrammed.

[Modified by GS387LPE, 10:27 PM 8/17/2003]
Stock injectors/ Stock exhaust/Stock tuning on the ECM and 550hp.
Better not put it on the dyno because that will really be a rude awakening.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (black bart)

:iagree:
Old 08-23-2003, 12:52 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (krivera)

Stock injectors/ Stock exhaust/Stock tuning on the ECM and 550hp.
Better not put it on the dyno because that will really be a rude awakening.

Sorry it ain't going to cut it. But again the choice is yours.

Bruce
Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 AM
GS387LPE
Instructor

Default Re: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ? (Bruce)

I didn't say i was running stock exhaust (ditching the hooker headders on the car now for better ones though, already running borla from the cats back... only stock part on the exhaust is the center section with the cats), I also didn't say stock tuning (I'm quite certain John didn't let the car leave Lingenfelter tuned stock!), and the injectors are only like 24 lb. injectors (stock i think on the lt-4?). I'll find out this week what damage I did to it two weeks ago when I overreved the engine... I already replaced the alternator I overspooled that night, but that sure isn't the half of it... think I may have killed the charger or something internal.... well I guess I can look at it this way... if it is internal I can drop in a meaner cam while the engine is torn down! When it comes to what hp the car is running I can't make any promises, but the professionals that have seen the car have all said to expect in the 550 range knowing what I've said here. If they're wrong, more power to ya, but I've owned various performance cars in the past few years, and I know what 350 hp rear wheel feels like, and i know what 400 feels like (my daily driver has that), and this car isn't even in the same ballpark! Car dynoed at 450+ from LPE... without explaining where an extra 5 grand went at LPE when the work was done. He didn't just get their LT-4 package, he added 5 grand more worth of stuff... I just don't know what... the engine has not been broken down yet (now's my chance to find out possibly considering what i did to the car last week). :smash: Either way, I'm blown away with the car, and the night I broke something my hands went numb from my fingertips to my elbows because of the force the acceleration put on my body. I'm happy with whatever hp can cause that! I just keep getting suprises like the one from last month when I found out the car has a gear in the rear (pleased was I)! Now see, if I didn't break stuff, how would I ever find these cool tidbits of information out! (didn't break anything with the rear, it was just leaking a little fluid from having been driven so little by the original owner... same with the head gasket rotting!) Oh, and I took my next door buddy for a ride in the car, and he took me for a ride in his 500hprw dynoed drag/street cobra and he was blown away... freely admits it would walk all over his... and I don't think a mustang guy would freely admit that unless he knew he had met his match! I'm just saying I've been around, and owned alot of performance cars in my brief life and I'm not trying to exaggerate what the car has... but I am a bit proud of what it has! No one who has ridden in, or raced this car have even thought of questioning 550 rw. Not trying to say anyone that says lower doesn't know their stuff, the professionals that have looked at the car (5 or 6 different places) could be wrong, but I also don't think they were trying to blow smoke anywhere either!

BTW anyone who knows what is involved with the LPE package knows the headders and exhaust aren't stock, and that the car is custom tuned at LPE. Does everyone on this forum jump to conclusions so quick about other members cars? I haven't had people jump on me like this even on the AFM (all ford mustang) site about anything that wasn't made super plain and clear! People usually ask questions before jumping to conclusions and talking junk about cars (or their owners) over there.

[Modified by GS387LPE, 1:49 AM 8/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower with 10.5 to 1 compression, how much boost ?