C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear vibration - Got the 1/2 shafts out - Is play "normal" in diff side yokes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 10:22 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear vibration - Got the 1/2 shafts out - Is play "normal" in diff side yokes?

I've been trying to solve a rear vibration problem at speeds above 70 MPH. Pretty common problem on the forum, most times caused by bad U-joints it seems. I've replaced my U-joints twice in two years, they keep developing some play in them over time, especially the ones at the diff side. I've been using cheap CarQuest U-joints, which may be my problem. I've got the part number for the Spicer ones for aluminum shafts, ordering those tomorrow.

What also concerns me is that there is a slight amount of play when I lay under the car and push the differential side yokes up and down. Is this normal? The diff was remanufactured a year ago when I put the 3:45 gears in. But if the diff side bearings became damaged by the bad U-joints or maybe the yokes have too much wear, I should do something about it now while I have everything apart. But I really don't want to take the carrier out and pull the diff apart if I don't have to... :nonod:

Anyone know how much play is acceptable?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:32 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You really don't want to be able to push them in or out at all.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:38 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

You really don't want to be able to push them in or out at all.
It isn't really in-and -out, its more up-and-down. If you are laying under the car and push up on the yoke and then pull down on it, there is a slight amount of play.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:29 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (vetracer)

I just talked to Trevor at Exotic Muscle and he's going to take a look at it (as soon as I pull the carrier for the 50th time in the two years I've owned this car) :banghead: There really aren't any good diff rebuilders anyone in my extensive list of contacts recommends here in the Phoenix area, but the guys at EM change ring& pinion sets all the time, so I should be in good hands. If you have vibration in your car it might be wise not to let it go too long as that is probably what happened to my diff and it won't be easy or cheap to fix. :cry

[Modified by vetracer, 4:30 PM 8/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Rear vibration - Got the 1/2 shafts out - Is play "normal" in diff side yokes?

Quick Reply: Rear vibration - Got the 1/2 shafts out - Is play "normal" in diff side yokes?