C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG

For those of you who have read my other related posts you know I have been having side glass adjustment problems since taking my 86 to that glass shop in Longwood Florida, ( The owner doesn't desire his shops name posted here)
They damaged the "B" pillar, didn't plug the wiper switch back in, tried to throw away parts of my door panel and had my car two weeks just to replace the windshield and side windows, and other unprofessional stuff...:mad

After giving shop "A":crazy: all the chances I thought they deserved and fearing they would just damage my car further I took it to Cor-vette Masters, to get the side glass adjusted properly,
The drivers door is great, closes with a feathers touch fully latches and the glass goes right in the groove of the weather strip and seals,
The passenger side is the problem :banghead: you have to slam the hell out of the door to get it to fully latch when the window is up because the top edge of the window hits the weather strip below it's groove and has the be forced into the groove with a hard slam, at first this was blamed on the in and out tilt adjustment of the glass, and a worn regulator, the regulator did run up and down fine and would have lasted no telling how much longer but I did opt to replace it, over 300.00 parts and labor for something that didn't help the problem at all, the tech at Cor-vette masters placed some blame on the new weather strip being new things fit tight, but it works fine on the drivers side, and that the door was out of adjustment , I looked at it and the simple fact was the top edge of the glass was not hitting the weather strip where it should like it does on the drivers side and all other c4's I've looked at, and I agree the door was slightly out, so I ran the car back out there, Cor-vette masters care about making the customer happy, :hurray:
It just so happens Tim Burkes Corvette body shop is behind Cor-vette masters and Tim was kind enough to come put his expert touch to the door adjustments and says it's right,
(On a side note Mr. Burke is in my opinion one of the nations top vette body men he fixed the turbo wide body in my sig picture when a cell phone talkin' soccor dad in a mini van rear ended it.)

I didn't hear from Cor-vette masters for a few days and called them to see how it was going, now my friends keep in mind I'm going on 6 weeks into this glass replacement mess,:cry Cor-vette masters have come to the conclusion that the side glass curve is wrong that it is defective from the factory, the curve being so great it hits sooner than it should, a replacement is in route but won't be here until tuesday, hard for me to believe there's not a passenger side c4 window glass in FL but I guess I'm just lucky that way,
so my question is has anyone ever heard of defective side glass in that the curve is wrong? :skep:
I know just about nothing when it come to car glass.
Well I did do all the adjustments on my c3:cool:
Thanks all, :thumbs:
I welcome all views and opinions on this frustrating situation.
Cheers, C.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG (The13Bats)

:seeya Charlie...I cannot believe the saga continues.. :eek: ..hopefully it will be over next week..I've never heard of glass curved wrong...you're right about Tim Burke..he's the best... good luck

[Modified by Fuzzy Dice, 11:02 PM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-30-2003, 05:02 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Default Re: Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG (The13Bats)

After not hearing anything from cor-vette master for a spell I gave them a call Fri, I'm not sure what day the replacement glass made it into Orlando, or when it made it to Cor-vette Master but TJ at Cor-vette Master tells me glass shop "A" whose owner was so very adamant about using high quality parts used some second rate glass in my car and it turns out the curve is wrong compared to the new one that came in, but it won't be installed until shop owner of Cor-vette Master returns to town after Tues.,
My questions are...why didn't glass shop "A" catch the wrong curve in the glass when they first installed it then why didn't Cor-vette Master catch the glass was curved wrong when they changed the regulator and adjusted the glass on both sides, needless to say I'm not pleased that I really didn't really need a new regulator at this point,
I also would like to talk this over with the tech at Cor-vette Master who first adjusted the glass why didn't he catch the glass being curved wrong but was adamant it was my door, my weather strip, my striker, etc and to "just live with it until the glass and weather strip have time to "fit"
I knew from the start something wasn't right I'm not in the vette or glass business I haven't had my hands on 100's of cars to have the experiences to have thought of the glass being curved wrong, I only know from working on all the vettes I have owned but common sense told me something wasn't right and I'm bugged two different shops both in the business didn't catch this and I'm 2 months without my car and 300.00 down on a part I really didn't need.
I will update later next week on the outcome of the installation of the new piece of glass.
Cheers and have a happy and safe holiday weekend,
C. :cheers: :party:
Old 08-30-2003, 05:22 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My drivers side door is more difficult to shut since replacing the outer seal (which forces the window inwards)

What I did, was push the window outwards with one hand while readjusting the inner felt bumpers. These help push the window out against the outer seal, and make it shut easier.

One minor (:lol:) setback though, the extra 'sandwiching' force now with the window forced up against the outer seal was enough to cause my power window ribbon to snap. So now I have new window style regulators to install.

I'd recommend checking the adjustment of these felt bumpers. There's two or three on each window. (My vette has three mounting holes for em, but only two bumpers from the factory)
Old 08-30-2003, 05:56 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG (CentralCoaster)

I just went through some window related issues with my '92.

Last weekend, I went to Corvettes @ Carlisle and bought a new a-frame seal...

After replacing it Monday, the passengers window was WAY loose... there was a nearly 3/16ths of an inch gap between the glass and the a-pillar seal. damn... rain... wind... it leaked quite a bit....

so I removed the door panel... which on a 92 is a BITCH. hidden screws... ick...

There are 4 bolts that hold the regulator in and 2 felt pads, plus the bolt for the locker (for the lack of a better word. I loosened each one a little and adjusted the glass forward... the trick? I used 2 of these suction cup hangers as grips on the glass... I was able hold the glass much better!!!!

After closing the window, I closed the door from the inside and made a couple of minor tweaks and tightend the 2 top bolts...

then came the tightening of all other bolts... done!!! and NO LEAK!

I need to do the same thing on the drivers side...
Old 08-30-2003, 06:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I did alot of research and work and taught myself how to adjust c3 window glass, I realize with aftermarket weather strips, worn parts and other variables there can but all kinds of adjustment issues I want to stress the problem on my c4's passenger side was lack of experience plain and simple in the people working on it, it was NOT an adjustment issue it WAS an issue with the glass being curved wrong, this may be a super rare problem but here's proof it can and did happen, I "looked" at the c4 window adjustment in fact it's easier than c3's but if the glass is wrong it's not going to ever work,
Not in my wildest dreams did I think glass could be curved wrong.
If a weird fitting aftermarket weather strip is installed this could also be a problem that can not be solved, and on another thread a member posted a long reply about adjusting the door, think about it, if the door is sagging or out of adjustment you can't ever get the glass right.

CentralCoaster: After doing all the adjustments on my c3's I believe the little felt bumpers sometimes called "anti-rattles" are not meant to force things they are meant to keep things from rattling and at the most snug, if adjusted to hard against the glass they will in time leave a worn place on the glass I have seen this on many c3's, it's really bad on cars with tint,
On c4's the inner dew wipe seal that's on the top edge of the door panel on the inside also helps hold the glass firm but again doesn't make up for out of adjustment regulators,
I realize the ribbon style is a bad design but unless it was worn out it should not have broken, when you switch to the late style regulator I suggest trying to get it adjusted so nothing is being forced.

Bogus:
I would say you got a good fitting weather strip and did a normal adjustment that would have to come after replacing the weather-strip
yours went easy-o! :hurray:

Cheers,
C. :cheers:
Old 08-30-2003, 08:58 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I CentralCoaster: After doing all the adjustments on my c3's I believe the little felt bumpers sometimes called "anti-rattles" are not meant to force things they are meant to keep things from rattling and at the most snug, if adjusted to hard against the glass they will in time leave a worn place on the glass I have seen this on many c3's, it's really bad on cars with tint,
On c4's the inner dew wipe seal that's on the top edge of the door panel on the inside also helps hold the glass firm but again doesn't make up for out of adjustment regulators,
I realize the ribbon style is a bad design but unless it was worn out it should not have broken, when you switch to the late style regulator I suggest trying to get it adjusted so nothing is being forced.
Yeah, I'll have to be careful when I adjust it for the new regulators. Perhaps my original ones have slop in em, but the windows don't seal against the outer seal. There's a 1/8" gap there that allows wind to whistle through, and probably wouldn't be good in the rain, or when washing the car.

I tried to make up for it by moving the felt thingys outwards for now. I noticed the door has three holes for these, but only two mounted in there. I'm guessing the general originally had 3, but the front one would catch on the window on the way up (since the window would actually go below this one, instead of always be resting against it, like the others, even when the window is down)

I'm going to remove all the windows and take em to a tint shop as soon as i get my other car fixed. I hope the rear glass even fits in my other car! I'll have to be careful when I reinstall em, and not put too much pressure on the tint.

There's some pretty scary things inside the door that would destroy the window if given the chance.

There's a SHARP piece of horizonal metal that stops the front of the regulator at fully up positioin, and another nasty bracket in the back that catches the window at full up, and sturdies it from side to side movement. Both of these things are only a little more than an 1/8" away from the glass/tint surface.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:00 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

thanks for the tips,,, just replaced weatherstripping and now do definately need to adjust the windows...
Old 09-08-2003, 02:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Finale update::hurray:
I went and picked up my 86 from cor-vette masters today the door closes like it should, yes the glass was curved wrong the new piece is perfect, John the tech who argued with me about it being other things is ironically no longer with them, :skep:
TJ, a tech who is 20 knows more than most techs twice his age I'm most impressed with his kind attitude about tasks and problems, he is an asset to the company, :thumbs:
It took a long time because glass shop "X" in Longwood took their time getting the right glass to cor-vette masters, :banghead:
anyway my door closes feather touch..... :party:
Cheers all,
C.

Get notified of new replies

To Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG

Quick Reply: Pain in my window glASS..Can side glass be curved wrong from PPG