C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Muffler: Is this a low restric. design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 06:53 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Muffler: Is this a low restric. design?

The Magnaflow muffler from Corvette Central, as I understand it, is just a perforated straight pipe with sound deadening material around the pipe and a muffler body around that.

Question: If it's truely a perforated straight pipe, how much would the turbulance caused by the holes restrict the exhaust flow? Has anyone tried this one?

I'm shooting for the least restriction muffler I can get, and I want LT1 tips. I could do the straight pipe, but I have to check into MD law and see if straight pipe is a problem. A really low restriction muffler would be the best thing.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:55 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (sothpaw2)

why?

low restriction, at least as far as modern engines is concerned, has a point of diminishing returns.

the sound level will go up - and I am SURE that open pipes would SO fail DMV in MD... I had elims, with hooker resonated tips, and that nearly failed. I know that true open pipes would more than fail.

I would look at Corsa's myself.... that's what I did... no regrets!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:24 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (bogus)

Fail what?

Not emmissions. I have to look into the law on this...
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

noise, my friend... noise.... delaware has a limit of 95db, 3ft off the pipe... I was at 94.3.... and that was with the resonated tips!!!!!!! they were tons quieter than the open pipes.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (bogus)

I ran a dual 3" inlet single 4" outlet Magnaflow in my 02 8.1L supercharged suburban. There was virtually no back pressure at WOT but the noise was totally obnoxious. I ended up changing it out for a Banks SS muffler that had a couple baffles in it, still very throaty a tad bit of back pressure but the noise is acceptable.

I ran a SLP 3" system in my C4 for a long time it was basically straight through with a single 3" inlet going to dual oval outlets. The internal tubing was perforated and wrapped with a SS/ceramic wool material for sound deadening. They were loud at WOT but at normal speeds it was acceptable. I also ran their dual in/out 3" resonator and measure back pressure was near 0 measured after the cats, and after the resonator.

Measurement was done with calibrated electronic pressure measurement tools. So I am sure it was accurate.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (tjwong)

You measured the back pressure after the cats and resonator, but not the mufflers, correct?

Thanks guys--I'll have to look into if they check for noise.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:46 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Corvette Central Magna Flows on "our" Corvette. Mine is the 88 and wife and I share the 95. Wife liked the totally whisper quiet stock mufflers. I find the Magna Flow, even though a true straight through design, are NOT loud at all. At WOT they have a nice mild powerful sound. Very slight rumble with moderate gas. Cruising at our legal 75 you hardly hear them. This is on a stock 95 LT1 auto with 3.07 gears. . Wife still wants the quiet vette back so I might sell them. I DO definitely feel more power through out the whole operating range. I guess the stock mufflers are very restrictive.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (skeet)

Skeet,
Let me know if you truly want to sell. I am buying something by next week.
Do you have a noise abatement law in Az? We have something here, I just can't tell what yet.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:28 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

I do not know of any noise abatement laws in Prescott but some small towns like Jerome have them. I have seen cops jump out in front of Harley's (with no mufflers) and give them tickets but then again Harley's with no mufflers are louder than any Vette I ever heard.
I am still trying to talk the wife into keeping the Magna Flows and think I can at least keep them on the car for another month or two. I really think the Vette sounds like a passenger sedan with the stock mufflers and more like a Vette with the Magna's. I will respect her feelings but will also stall, stall, stall - I really like them!
I think the cats make the flow through design of these mufflers more quiet than you would think they would be.
If I have to sell them I will try the " C4 parts for sale" forum first.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:07 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Muff elims are the way to go in your situation, it wont be illegal cause you still have the center resonator.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

ttt
Old 08-29-2003, 08:26 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (Beautiful Beast)

ttt
Old 08-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skeet, did you lose any lwo end torque feel, or did it feel like it picked up some low end grunt w/ the Magna's?

I put the Corvette Central Magna Flows on "our" Corvette. Mine is the 88 and wife and I share the 95. Wife liked the totally whisper quiet stock mufflers. I find the Magna Flow, even though a true straight through design, are NOT loud at all. At WOT they have a nice mild powerful sound. Very slight rumble with moderate gas. Cruising at our legal 75 you hardly hear them. This is on a stock 95 LT1 auto with 3.07 gears. . Wife still wants the quiet vette back so I might sell them. I DO definitely feel more power through out the whole operating range. I guess the stock mufflers are very restrictive.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:49 PM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Just save yourself grief, and get the FlowMasters, good sound, with a little more HP.
Just my 7 cents worth.
tony
Old 08-30-2003, 02:22 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (oldace84)

OldAce84 - FlowMaster does not sell just mufflers for the LT1 cars so you need to buy the whole cat back system for about $700-$800. The MagnaFlows are just the mufflers and they cost about $250-big difference and about $500 worth of "grief".

I feel a slight increase in off the line "grunt" and it seems to pull harder throughout the whole rpm range.

From what i read the perforations in the muffler were designed not to cause turbulance of the exhaust/air flow and to only trap sound waves which I believe are perpindicular(sp?) to the air flow but am not 100% sure about this last statement. I would imagine that FlowMasters have an advantage in that without the baffle material there is no heat build up which could be a problem in all out racing situations but I am not 100% sure about this too. There are a lot of things I am not 100% sure of:)
Old 08-30-2003, 02:39 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Just a thought, go to http://www.jegs.com or http://www.summit.com
Best prices on these mufflers.
What do you think?
thanks
tony
I bought my FlowMaster's from Jeg's.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:21 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep the pressure was measured after the cats and after the resonator, so it was measured behing the mufflers to give an indication of any back pressure that may have been from them.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:23 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design? (tjwong)

Flowmaster exhaust and Tri-Flo exhaust (3") are both relatively quiet on my 95 lt1, both were cat-back. I know others have seen quite the opposite, maybe it's just my car, but they compared in NO way to my 97 trans am with a flowmaster and tips. Maybe you're the other guy with a quiet 95 to back me up :cheers: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler: Is this a low restric. design?

Quick Reply: Muffler: Is this a low restric. design?