C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:20 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing?

My pre-cats are original (129k miles on them), and I am wondering, since I have installed a hi-flow cat and flowmaster exhaust, is it worth getting new pre-cats? Are there any hi-flow/performance precats? Would that just be a waste of money?
Just seems like I have upgraded only 2/3 of the exhaust system.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:49 PM
larrybsp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing? (dbwade36)

Precats are there to speed up the warm up process to get the car into closed loop mode in cold climates. I have removed them on the two Corvettes I've had in California and I've passed smog with flying colors every time. Most smog techs don't even realize a Corvette has pre cats. They just look to see if the main cat is there. If you have an L-98 you can get a Canadian head pipe from GM without the pre cats or you can get one from Ecklers. From GM it has to be special ordered. Its not listed in the computer. The sales person has to call the order in. Been there, done that. :auto: :auto:
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 PM
subman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing? (dbwade36)

Last weekend, I gutted my pre-cats leaving the pumpkin in place, just in case. I have been told by 2 reputable muffler shops that if your car is warmed up when you take to the smog testers, you should have no problems.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:13 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A 2 1/2" mandrel-bent SS front Y would be the best solution; maybe you could get the pre-cat skins tack welded to the new Y.

If not, just gut them since you have a new cat.

To finish off the exhaust, you might pull the stock shortie headers, port the tube openings and cut the AIR tubes from within the header tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing?

Quick Reply: Pre-cats- Since I must have them (Cali-CARB rules) is it worth changing?