C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1st upgrade help:exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:29 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1st upgrade help:exhaust

So I'm looking to do my first upgrade here in the next month or two. From everything I've read and been told, exhaust upgrade is the least expensive upgrade that would actually yield an increase in performance.
Right now, the car is a completely stock 1992 LT1. I plan to get my first tune done after the exhaust upgrade. So with a budget of around $1500, I'm looking for suggestions as to exactly what to get. I'm talking about links to the product and reasoning for the suggestion. The car is a semi-daily driver so it needs to be able to pass Virginia state inspection, but it will also see some short track racing. Cat-back or full system, whichever fits within my budget. I don't want the car to be excessively loud, but a nice growl under hard acceleration is expected.

Advice and parts suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:45 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Unless you're talking headers, I don't there's too much gain to be had with an LT1 system. LT1s have a pretty decent exhaust right out of the box. I'd pick the system I like the sound of and put on a cat back.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

if it's possible with my budget, yes, I'm talking headers.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You could go with some long tube headers and high flow cats as well as delete the resonator or put an x pipe in its place and keep the stock mufflers.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
GJ Camacho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade: Headers make a difference

My 93 (same as your 92) woke up with headers..Short headers by pacesetter. Is good for the midrange to upper end of the rpm range. For an additional 250.00 change 48mm throttlebody to 52mm (I'm in the process of doing that now). I went with a full electronics kit from spark plugs to optispark by msd , a good choice. The last piece of equipment would be a decent chip. Try pcm4less, they will custom make your chip, good for 40 to 55 ponies. Right now for around 40.00 if you have an automatic transmission you can get a shift kit by B&M. You can do it all for under 1500.00 easily. It all makes a difference.

Last edited by GJ Camacho; 02-12-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 PM
GJ Camacho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also...

The air filter housing needs to be opened up so you can get more air flowing, also change the filter to a high flow type like the k&m filters good for 5 to 8 ponies. Move the air temp sensor to the front of the car somewhere by the bottom where the spoiler entrance to the radiator is. That helps too. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 lt-4
You could go with some long tube headers and high flow cats as well as delete the resonator or put an x pipe in its place and keep the stock mufflers.

Long Tubes with high flow cats an x pipe with the stock mufflers are great at cruise but wake up when you step on it.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Headers are not a lot of fun to install unless you can get a lift for the afternoon. As was said before, the stock LT manifolds are pretty good and if you are not going to change heads and cam the motor you may not see much for your work. Check out the top line exhaust systems from CORSA and Billy-Boat, at, just above, your budget and they go on without the agony of DIY headers (save the headers for when you do the heads and cam and only bust knuckles once!).
Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thyere are quite a few options on headers, it kinda epends on how much money you want to spend. Stainless steel is generally the best (and most expensive) option, ceramic coated next, then regular steel. Ranging from most expensive down would be Stainless Works (?), TPiS, Exotic Muscle, Hooker, Hedman. All are good and some fitment may be necessary. Use 2-1/2" piping, an H or X connection and a good set of mufflers. Mufflers will range in tone so choose carefully as to what sound you want. Magnaflows I have had are droney but a popular choice. Borla I have heard is a good choice. I would check into Walker, I have had good luck with them, no drone and good sound when you punch it.

All in all you will be pleased with the improvement that a free breathing exhaust will make. Considering the investment, choose carefully after doing your due diligence.

Good luck and tell us what you went with and how you like it.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

I do have access to a lift to install the new exhaust. I was actually thinking of going with 2 3/4" or 3" pipes. Don't think I can afford stainless though. A cam upgrade is in the cars future, but that probably won't be until next winter.

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for actual kits to get, and links to the kit's product page. I already know which brand names are good. What I am looking for is recommendations for exactly which kit and headers to get.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:24 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed a Melrose system several years ago on my 94 and other than having to tweak one of the pipes it is a good system. The nice thing is if you are running an auto you can get the cats away (behind) the trans.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-headers-exhaust/

Several manufacturers mke good quality stainless headers also.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:23 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You don't need 3" pipes on a stock motor.The factory 2.75 pipes are more than enough.If you are after sound do a magnaflow axleback and call it a day.

My Corsa 2.5 catback on my 383 made 441rwhp so there is no need to go with 3" pipes.

The most cost effective way to go would be to do the magnaflow rear section.If you want more sound then look to replace the factory resonator with an x-pipe.

For whole catbacks be patient and they pop up here for sale from time to time and keep a watch on ebay and your local craigslist.

I tried almost every configuration of exhaust on mine and ended up with Corsa and should have done it first regardless of the cost.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:05 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Originally Posted by blue94
I installed a Melrose system several years ago on my 94 and other than having to tweak one of the pipes it is a good system. The nice thing is if you are running an auto you can get the cats away (behind) the trans.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-headers-exhaust/

Several manufacturers mke good quality stainless headers also.
Thanks blue94. That's the kind of response I was hoping for. Ill definitely check out the link you gave.

Originally Posted by 96 lt-4
You don't need 3" pipes on a stock motor.The factory 2.75 pipes are more than enough.If you are after sound do a magnaflow axleback and call it a day.

My Corsa 2.5 catback on my 383 made 441rwhp so there is no need to go with 3" pipes.

The most cost effective way to go would be to do the magnaflow rear section.If you want more sound then look to replace the factory resonator with an x-pipe.

For whole catbacks be patient and they pop up here for sale from time to time and keep a watch on ebay and your local craigslist.

I tried almost every configuration of exhaust on mine and ended up with Corsa and should have done it first regardless of the cost.
I'm thinking of going 3" because I do plan on doing more to the car as time goes by. Next upgrade will be going into the engine with a cam upgrade and head work. I know it don't need 3" with it being stock, but I want a system that will serve me well with the future upgrades that will be done as time goes by. Eventually, I plan on the engine being converted to a LS induction system, bigger cam, and stroked out to a 383. All in due time though (I am far from being rich).

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 02-14-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

With that plan in mind, you won't be rich any time soon!

But you'll have fun doing it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st upgrade help:exhaust

Quick Reply: 1st upgrade help:exhaust