C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 05:47 AM
tlc85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems???

Im new to the forum, this is my first post but ive been read it for a while now my problem started yesterday. I have an 85 corvette. that needs alot of work
its getting done slowly. but now i have raw gas coming out the exhaust. just the left side. and its also getting into my oil> could it be a stuck injector? the car starts. and runs. no smoke. any ideas. thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Problems??? (tlc85)

Yes! I bet it is! And be careful not to blow yourself up! Change your oil quick!
Someone on here will tell you how to find out which one it is. These folks are great!

Wecome to the addiction!! :seeya
Old 09-16-2003, 10:05 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

:iagree:
I'm sure the form will respone,,, search under injectors, there's a bunch of docs there...
Old 09-16-2003, 11:20 PM
tlc85
Advanced

Default Re: Problems??? (vinnies87)

well you guys were right. I pulled the top off. and lifted the fuel rail alittle bit.
as soon as I turned the key on to presurize?? the fuel rail I had two injectors
spaying wide open. Its a bummer. but now I have the time to Powder coat the plemun?? and runners while I wait for new injectors. Im thinking fms 24's.
Thanks for all your support. For a while there I was really worried. Ive never seen gas coming out the tail pipe like that.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 AM
jtfrog
Racer

My 86 smells like it is burning rich. A lot of black sute in tail pipe. How do you tell if an injector is leaking and can you just change the bad one if found
Old 09-17-2003, 05:43 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Problems??? (jtfrog)

Not sure why more folks haven't jumped in on this, but, yep you can change just 1, if you're sure you don't need this excuse to replace them all. With better! And more stuff! And clean the plenum! And....... (when something is needed on the vette, I kinda cry to the wife, feel real bad, and she lets me spend money on it to feel better :D Then I do other stuff too :yesnod: )
Anyway, you can put a pressure guage on the fuel line and see if it holds when you shut it off. Ya know, doesn't bleed into the cylinder. If it drops pressure, then ya gotta hunt for which one. At your left there is a search option here on the forum. Put in injector or fuel pressure and see what turns
Old 09-17-2003, 08:24 PM
tlc85
Advanced

Default Re: Problems??? (ductape)

Your right I did :cry to my wife. so Im getting some 24# fms. injectors. and while I was shopping I went ahead and got a pressure regulator,and a gage that mounts to the fuel rail. so Ill aways be able to see what my pressure is.
Since I ran into this snag in my master plan for the car I also had a friend pick up the plenum and rails + valve covers to be sand blasted and powder coated. I guess this was the push I needed to get started on some big stuff.
I have so much going on with this car its unreal. I just wish it would all go according to my plan. This fourm is such a great tool. and the people are even better thanks for all the help. Im sure ill need more soon. :)
Old 09-17-2003, 09:21 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Check compression while you're at it. The exhaust valve isn't open long enough to get rid of all the gas the open injector is flowing into the combustion chamber so it can also damage the piston, cylinder or just a blow a head gasket. You need to get whatever is in the cylinder out so pull the plug(s) and rotate the cylinder to TDC. Any left over gas (or coolant for that matter) will flow out of the spark plug hole or you can siphon it out.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:45 PM
tlc85
Advanced

Default Re: Problems??? (SunCr)

I've already taken out the spark plugs and drained them. changed the oil. I think Ive been lucky with the head gasket. I'll have to do a combustion check after i get it back together. It wasnt smoking when I found the problem and only ran it on a few start ups. but i know it cant be good for the piston rings. thanks for the advise.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:10 AM
jtfrog
Racer

in doing research for my 86 i noticed that they talk a bout 1st design and 2nd design. What are they talking a bout? I have an early iron head 86
Old 09-18-2003, 03:52 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Problems??? (jtfrog)

in doing research for my 86 i noticed that they talk a bout 1st design and 2nd design. What are they talking a bout? I have an early iron head 86
I'm not really sure. What are they refering to? I know on an '85 there is a difference with the overdrive switch location and the 3rd brake lite. But on an '86, I'm not sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems???

Quick Reply: Problems???