C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Short problem--HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 04:03 PM
C-4 Cross Fire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short problem--HELP!!!

OK--I finally jumped it and got it running again after I discovered it dead on Monday morning. Something is shorting out or is in an "on" state that I can't find. Does anyone have a graphic of the fuse panel that tells what each fuse is for--ESP the fuse to the right of the upper left corner fuse? This fuse is sparking when I remove and insert it.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:30 PM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Default Re: Short problem--HELP!!! (C-4 Cross Fire)

Hello,Im in Fenton.I also have an 84.
There is a blank spot on the upper left.Directly next to that space, to the right, is the courtesy fuse.
Its a 15 amp.
Ive a Haynes manual that shows it.
It powers,
1 Center info cluster
2 under hood lamps
3 horn relay
4 Courtesy lamps
5 Map lamps -door
6 power door lock switches
7 radio clock
8 key warning & headlight on chime
9 dome light timer
10 spare tire illumination
11 power antenna relay
12 cargo lamps
13 cigar lighter
14 consol storage compartment light.
15 vanity mirror light.
One thing to try is look at the car in the dark,looking for a light on somewhere.
Goodluck.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:45 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

You know its so hard to find, and sometimes I just give up.
But I use a battery disconnect switch. So my battery will at least stay charged.
Available everywhere.
Mine from Mid America.
Just a twist.
tony
:hurray:
Old 09-18-2003, 09:34 PM
loflyin
Instructor

Default Re: Short problem--HELP!!! (oldace84)

I think jfb recently posted procedure for tracking down a battery drain. Involves plugging your digital voltmeter inline with the positive battery cable and then systematically pulling fuses til you see the current drop. Do a search and you should find several tricks for this. Good luck, I think everyone has been where you are at before. :banghead:
Old 09-18-2003, 11:28 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The fuse to the right of the top left is the 15 amp courtesy/clock fuse. You have to have the door open to pull fuses and this turns on the courtesy lights. A spark when unplugging this fuse is going to be normal since the courtesy lights draw enough current to show a spark. First look for the obvious current drains, in the dark look for courtesy lights stuck on, are the vanity mirror lights on, are the underhood lights on. Do you have any aftermarket electronics?, a radio, burglar alarm, audio amplifier, radar detector. Some CFers have found their seat adjust switches stuck on. Disconnect your negative battery cable and place an ammeter (VOM test meters measure current) in series between the battery terminal and the cable. Pull the courtesy fuse and observe the current reading. It should be under 50 milliamps. If not, then pull fuses one at a time and watch the ammeter. A fuse removal that causes a dramatic drop in current is the circuit you will have to investigate further. If no clues there, then remove the nut on the battery jump terminal and remove the red wires (8) one at a time and again watch the ammeter. There are circuit breakers and a fuse in a remote location from the fuse block which will have to be investigated if you don't find the leakage current mentioned above. My 87 vette has 27 milliamps of leakage and GM says leakage should be under 50 ma.
Charge your battery back up with a 120v battery charger and maybe with the negative cable disconnected if leakage current is high. Don't figure on charging your battery up with the alternator.

[Modified by jfb, 10:30 PM 9/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Short problem--HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Short problem--HELP!!!