C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP !

Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP !

Replaced my Vacuum brake booster some 16 months ago with a remanufactured A1 Cardone #54-71405 unit from Rockauto. It crapped-out 11 months later...Rockauto sent me another via product warranty. Installed the replacement unit this past April....it totally failed witout prior warning yesterday morning :U

Called Rockauto and they agreed to refund my money in full if I return the defective unit...FOR THE RECORD......I LIKE ROCKAUT0, VERY DEPENDABLE COMPANY....TOO BAD THIS REMANUFACTURER SUCKS. I did notice this is the only vacuum booster rebuild they carry, also used to cary ACDELCO, but no more.

Purchased a new GM OEM #10242104 vacuum booster from Bob McGuire Parts a GM Wholesale Parts Distributor in NJ.

Part lists at $359.54 They quoted $266.06 last night and called me to confirm it qualifies for some kind of additional GM discount and will cost $235 + $12 shipping, and I should recieve it by tomorrow :party:

http://www.bobmaguireparts.com

I'll never be so stupid as to install another remanufactured vacuum booster again, when it takes me about 2 hours to remove the old and install the new...this will be my third time :rant:

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 8:50 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP ! (95BLKVette)

Just Realized there is a GM Part Direct listed under "PARTS" on the lower left border of this page...DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :U

And I looked on the Forum page last night but just missed it:rofl:

They sell it for $185 + shipping = $222 :skep:

Oh Well :nopity
Old 09-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP ! (95BLKVette)

Can you step through the process of removal and replacement? I might be faced with this issue pretty soon. I have never liked the brakes on my car. Mushy pedal for the first couple inches and then it can be "manhandled" another inch or so. If I put on a new MC I want to swap the PB too.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:12 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP ! (Goody)

Can you step through the process of removal and replacement? I might be faced with this issue pretty soon. I have never liked the brakes on my car. Mushy pedal for the first couple inches and then it can be "manhandled" another inch or so. If I put on a new MC I want to swap the PB too.
If it's anything like my '86 it's very straightforward. 4 nuts to remove. The problem is the two that are underneath the dash on the inside of the firewall. Took me forever to get those two.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Called Rockauto and they agreed to refund my money in full if I return the defective unit...FOR THE RECORD......I LIKE ROCKAUT0, VERY DEPENDABLE COMPANY....TOO BAD THIS REMANUFACTURER SUCKS. I did notice this is the only vacuum booster rebuild they carry, also used to cary ACDELCO, but no more.

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 8:50 PM 9/24/2003]
So was it a remanufactured booster or a rebuilt booster?

Remanufactured parts are built to "like new" standards with all parts being replaced. Rebuilt parts just fix what is wrong when it fails the first time, leaving all the other parts to fail with time.

So which was it, reman or rebuild?
Old 09-25-2003, 01:34 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP ! (JCAIRE2)

Well guess who is remanufacturing our ECM and PCMs now? You guessed it A1 Cardone, and let me tell you they are crap as well. I am really disappointed at Delphi or GM that they let the all mighty dollar take precedence in choosing such a crap rebuilder!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:22 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Thanks for the Heads Up!
tony
Old 09-26-2003, 10:28 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP ! (oldace84)

I have never had a problem with A1 Cardone parts. They offer a lifetime warranty on all their stuff. That is really strange that you would have 2 of these go out. I used to sell their stuff when I worked at Discount Auto Parts (now Advance Auto Parts). If I had 1 unit rebuilt by them come back in a month, it was a lot! I sold around 500 parts that they rebuilt per month. I never had one bad off the shelf. The ones that came back were at least 1 year old and there was normally another problem with the car that caused the part to go. Very strange...
Old 09-26-2003, 11:43 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Somewhat unusual to lose two of these things. Are you sure it's just not the check valve? If it's hissing or if the engine is losing power when applying the brakes, a new grommet and valve may fix it. You could also take it apart and see what failed, but I know that would muck up the warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't Buy A1 Cardone Remanufactured Vacuum Brake Booster...CRAP !