C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop?

Old 10-02-2003, 09:38 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop?

Like title says. L98, 1985. I know it only starts reading off the O2 sensor when it goes closed loop (and of course the MAF sensor). ...but I'm wondering about MAF usage during "open" loop. TIA!!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:42 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop? (GRX)

yep
Old 10-02-2003, 09:44 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop? (88_vette)

...but isn't it possible to run the motor without the MAF in open loop?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:58 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can once it starts and stops a couple times and goes into fuel back up mode. Then it reverts to Speed density mode and runs off the VE tables.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop? (tjwong)

So it reads the TPS, RPMs and VE tables in open loop? This is an 1985...no MAP here...

[Modified by GRX, 7:00 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-03-2003, 12:47 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The only L98 engine control sensor that is ignored in open loop (such as at WOT) is the O2 sensor.

In this case the ECM reads and records the O2 sensor values as ususal but it sets two parameteres, the Block Learn Mode (BLM) cell #15 value and the Integrator value, to "neutral" value of 128. Since both of these values always read 128 in open loop, no modifications are made by the ECM to the A/F ratio. In closed loop mode O2 sensor readings are used to trim two parameters, which in turn trims the A/F ratio by adjusting injector pulse width to the correct values for driving conditions.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:50 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop? (65Z01)

The only L98 engine control sensor that is ignored in open loop (such as at WOT) is the O2 sensor.

In this case the ECM reads and records the O2 sensor values as ususal but it sets two parameteres, the Block Learn Mode (BLM) cell #15 value and the Integrator value, to "neutral" value of 128. Since both of these values always read 128 in open loop, no modifications are made by the ECM to the A/F ratio. In closed loop mode O2 sensor readings are used to trim two parameters, which in turn trims the A/F ratio by adjusting injector pulse width to the correct values for driving conditions.
I think you just answered a question I have long wondered about open loop/closed loop/BLM's. I wondered how a computer controlled car such as the Corvette could be running rich or lean if the computer/o2 sensor are constantly monitoring/adjusting the A/F ratio. Seemed to me that chip programming would be futile if the ECM is going to add or subtract fuel based on O2 readings in closed loop. If WOT puts the car into open loop and the A/F ratio is determined solely by the tables programmed into the chip, then that explains how the A/F ratio could be rich or lean and therefore affect performance. Am I getting this right? :skep:

Get notified of new replies

To Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does ECM use MAF sensor during open loop?