C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:56 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block?

Is it just whether the lifter valley is drilled for the girdle tray thingy?

Is there any difference in the cam? are they interchangeable?

When did GM switch to the roller block in the vette?

Did they switch to roller lifters at the same time, or later on?

Which lifters allow you to do a cam swap without pulling the intake?

:steering:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:02 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (CentralCoaster)

I always thought a complete "Roller" meant everything from the cam and lifters to the rockers. (Roller)

The cam should be one designed to work with roller lifters and nothing else.

....though I could be wrong.

:chevy:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:05 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (CentralCoaster)

I think roller cams have flat lobes, while non-rollers have a slight angle to them... which when combined with a slightly radiused lifter, will spin the lifter. :lurk:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:48 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I can't answer all of the other questions, 1987 was the first year for the roller block in the Corvette.

Ron
Old 10-14-2003, 06:05 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think the angle in which the lifter cylinders are is different in the two blocks. The cams are different because one uses flat tappet lifters and the other uses roller tipped lifters. A flat tappet cam will have slower ramps on the cam lobes than a roller cam.

I do not know of any standard lifters that will allow you to do a cam change without pulling the intake. There are some spring loaded after market sets that will lift off the cam when the rockers are loosened but I have never seen anyone use them.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:23 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Roller cam started in 87, meaning it has roller lifters instead of the older flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

The cams are not interchangeable.

The earlier blocks dont have the block tapped for it, or at least thats what i understand of it. Lingenfelter says no block work is required, some builders say some minor stuff is required. I dont know exactly what the situation is.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:06 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (vader86)

Roller cam blocks have the machine work for the timing chain plate, the knock sensor, and the 1 pcs rear main seal.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (ZylaRace)

Roller cam blocks have the machine work for the timing chain plate, the knock sensor, and the 1 pcs rear main seal.
86 also has a 1piece seal, with older flat tappet cam

Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

If you're just looking at bare blocks, the roller block has a raised area in front of block with two tapped holes around the cam bearing hole under the timing chain gear (for a cam retaining plate).

Old 10-15-2003, 07:56 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (Rich B.)

Again, Vader got in just before me...
86+ = 1 piece rear main seal
87+ = Roller Lifters

When people say they've got a "roller" block, they're usually meaning they have roller lifters. Now, when people say they're a "FULL roller" motor, they're usually meaning they also have roller rocker arms. However, when they say "SOLID roller", they're meaning they have a SOLID roller camshaft...which I have NO clue of what the difference between SOLID and Hydraulic roller is...
Old 10-15-2003, 01:06 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (TIMSPEED)

So are you guys saying that 87+ L98's, LT-1's, and LS-1's all have roller lifters stock? :skep:
Old 10-15-2003, 01:53 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (vvv90)

Yes, hydraulic roller lifters.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:57 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (Vette92)

A roller lifter block has the valley tapped for the girdle. Also around each lifter pair is a machined surface where the lifter plates sit that keep them from rotating inside the lifter boss.

On the front of the block also goes a thrust plate that is bolted in around the cam in two spots with a bolt in the 3 & 9 spots. I have found through personal experience that the taps for the thrust plate are not identical on all roller blocks. My 4-bolt truck roller block had its two holes slightly further out than my 2-bolt corvette roller block.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block? (scorp508)

My 4-bolt truck roller block had its two holes slightly further out than my 2-bolt corvette roller block.
Could this be because the truck timing chain/gears are wider than the car chains/gears??? I recall this was the case with the non-roller engines...a while ago...

oops, 7:00... :sleep:

Get notified of new replies

To Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block?

Quick Reply: Q's: What's the difference between a roller block and a non-roller block?