C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 06:44 PM
vettespd20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE???

Ok this is not my first post on this type of topic, I am about to get an 1986 Suburban engine that has factory Vortec heads (well so I am told). It has a factory size cam in it also, but has been freshly rebuilt and balanced. Now if it does have Vortec heads will my crossfire work on it, (it also has center bolt Valve covers). Now if some reason that the crossfire wont work on the Vortec heads, what should I do just slap my old heads off of my locked up engine and put them on??? Any ideas let me know thanks
:steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering:
Old 10-20-2003, 07:20 PM
1_piece_at_a_time
Instructor

Default Re: Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE??? (vettespd20)

You can get the vortec heads drilled and tapped for the old style intakes, but the runners on the vortec heads are so big that you have to be careful of vacuum leaks because your intake will barely cover them. The good news is that the late model motor will leak alot less everywhere else. I don't know how the cams compare, but you will gain about half a point of compression. I don't know how it will work for sure.....but there's some of the pros and cons. It would be interesting. Personally, I think it would probably be fine, the only thing that wouldn't swap over would be the flywheel/flexplate. Let us know how it turns out if you give it a try.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
vettespd20
Racer

Default Re: Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE??? (1_piece_at_a_time)

Thanks for the reply I was going to trade my 92 25th anniversary camaro for the engine, the guy just backed out on me after I have turned people away saying i already had a deal. :cuss Oh well his lose, the car with about 500 invested is worth about 3500 so I guess i will look else where but thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE???

Quick Reply: Vortec Heads on CROSSFIRE???