C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Soulja_350
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Project

Hey all,

The xmas holidays are coming up very soon, and it is time 2 start the work on the 1988 vette, after taking a ride in a STi last night i have changed my mind on putting a sc onto the vette and are going for the TWIN TURBO Project!!!

Now this will be a first for me as i have never work on turbos, so im going 2 take it slow and hopfully it will be all done by Feb 14th 2004 (in time for my bday)

Im not sure if i should sell the L98 and buy myself a Lt4 or lt1 tune and stroke that then install the turbo in that. I will have 2 get the turbo custom made, same wit the i/c anyone got any ideas where i can get that done.

My oldman got all the tools in the world and if he doesn't we will be able 2 get it easy from his work, so installion will be done by me, my oldman and my mates (dont think they will help much ahahaha)

I think i will upgrade brakes 2 z06 or c5 type brakes, and reinforce the d44 and do the rest off the stuff 2 the handing ect. after i get an est. on the hp i will make with the turbo (as this is kind of my 1st /2nd car and im only 17 i think 500 or 650rwhp will be ok for the start )

Wish me luck for the 1st turbo vette in australia (i think)

Cya Michael

Old 10-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: Turbo Project (Soulja_350)

Just through i give alittle update, i was over at those turbo vette websites, and this website seam 2 be where everyone is getting there turbos and wastegate http://www.precisionte.com.

Now im not 2 sure on which turbo 2 get most people with turbo c4 are using the PT52 (2 of them), now at $675

Comes with T04E Compressor Cover - 3" Inlet and 2" Outlet, large 60 trim comp wheel, T350 76 trim turbine wheel, .63 or .85 A/R.
For high 10 second applications, 3000 minimum stall required.

These turbo's require a specific wastegate actuator for true bolt-on compatability, sold seperately.

Supports up to 600 hp at the flywheel.

doesnt seem 2 bad; the next few models T64E ect just add an extrat 100hp (700hp at the flywheel) and are $300 more in price. Hmm do u think it is worth the extract $$$ ....?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Soulja_350
Racer

i was just thinking about something; i will need some sort of turbo-timing, boost gauge ect. now i don't know if anyone makes them for corvette (america style v8), so im guessing i will need to buy some sort of j-spec (hks ect.) turbo-timing, boost gauges ect

Does anyone have any idea where 2 start looking..?
Old 10-10-2003, 01:15 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Umm, are you sure you know what it takes to build a Twin Turbocharged Configuration engine? I think just the header flange that bolts to the heads needs to be at least 3/8's of an inch think and this is really, really thick. Plus you will need to get some weld-els which is easier to work with b/c they already come prebent. Might not look too good but will perform. PLus you will need to get an aftermarket Computer to controll the spark and boost., fuel curves.

You might be better off getting the Sycloon ot typhoon Turbos with the built in watsegates, This is what I was thinking about, supports 375HP each. :yesnod:
Old 10-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: Turbo Project (Light84vette)

There is alot of work 2 do, but i really want 2 go big or not 2 do it at all

[Modified by Soulja_350, 4:36 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

You really should go through the archives for this topic. Some things to think about. Where are you going to mount the turbo's??? This is the big question!!! You can do it low like callaway did it. There should be room down there. However, you will need to make some kind of oil scavaging system to pump the oil from the turbo back to the engine.

Or you can mount it high which would help with the oil return, but you need room for all the pipes. Remember you are going to have 3" exhaust comming out of each of these turbos that would need to get from the top to the bottom of the car around everything. Around the headers or where ever you route them.

I hope you are good at welding and cutting pipe. Youre gonna have to make your own headers or hire a welder to do it for you. There's alot of planning into it and it's going to be very expensive.

As for the turbo go to http://www.chapturbos.com The guys there know there stuff and they'll hook you up right. You'll probably want a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo with a .84 or .96 turbine housing and a 60-1 HIFI Compressor housing. You may be able to get an internal wastegate on these, but more likely than not with the size you will want to run you're going to have to have an external gate.

I do know alot of this from experience try searching for "beltless boost" and you'll see my turbo project atempt. Good Luck, and if there's anything I can help with let me know. Oh yeah, a supercharger would be SOOOO much easier.

[Modified by mn_vette, 3:50 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: Turbo Project (mn_vette)

You really should go through the archives for this topic. Some things to think about. Where are you going to mount the turbo's??? This is the big question!!! You can do it low like callaway did it. There should be room down there. However, you will need to make some kind of oil scavaging system to pump the oil from the turbo back to the engine.

Or you can mount it high which would help with the oil return, but you need room for all the pipes. Remember you are going to have 3" exhaust comming out of each of these turbos that would need to get from the top to the bottom of the car around everything. Around the headers or where ever you route them.

I hope you are good at welding and cutting pipe. Youre gonna have to make your own headers or hire a welder to do it for you. There's alot of planning into it and it's going to be very expensive.

As for the turbo go to http://www.chapturbos.com The guys there know there stuff and they'll hook you up right. You'll probably want a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo with a .84 or .96 turbine housing and a 60-1 HIFI Compressor housing. You may be able to get an internal wastegate on these, but more likely than not with the size you will want to run you're going to have to have an external gate.

I do know alot of this from experience try searching for "beltless boost" and you'll see my turbo project atempt. Good Luck, and if there's anything I can help with let me know. Oh yeah, a supercharger would be SOOOO much easier.
THANKS FOR THE INFO :cheers: :cheers:

that link u gave me http://www.chapturbos.com didnt work, also i was planning on using the same setup as this c4 turbo vette http://www.jdhcon.com/Vette.html
The 2 turbos are place on Each side of the i/c

Turbo ---------------- Turbo
--------------I/C-------------

Get the idea? is this a good setup? maybe i should get your number so i can make some phone calls when i get stuck and dont know wat 2 do (which will be like every second ahahaha :jester )

[Modified by Soulja_350, 2:06 AM 10/11/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

THANKS FOR THE INFO :cheers: :cheers:

that link u gave me http://www.chapturbos.com didnt work, also i was planning on using the same setup as this c4 turbo vette http://www.jdhcon.com/Vette.html
The 2 turbos are place on Each side of the i/c

Turbo --- I/c --- Turbo

Get the idea? is this a good setup? maybe i should get your number so i can make some phone calls when i get stuck and dont know wat 2 do (which will be like every second ahahaha :jester )
Sorry about the link it's http://www.cheapturbo.com (no s on the end). The only problem I would see with using the turbos form that link is their physical size. They are BIG. you'll also want to go with a smaller turbine size because you are only running a 350 instead of a 400+ci. That makes a big difference in how fast your turbo will spin up. You are also not looking for 1200hp which means at 600hp your turbos will not be spinning in their most efficient state. Bigger isnt always better.

The other thing you might want to think about is doing a single turbo. It makes the intercooler easier, and you only have to find space for one of them. Which in some cases will make all the difference. It's just something to think about. The turbo itself isn't all that big, but it's finding the room for all the pipes and othere such stuff going to it that becomes the problem. Proper planning will make all the diffence.

If you'd like to give me a call I'm usually free evenings Central US time. 1-507-269-6354. International calls could be a bit expensive so forum or email (mckevett@us.ibm.com) or chat (AOL IM: assashi ) might be best.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

i am playing on building a 406 (or 401) with my L98 350block or if i can find a LT1.
After talking it over with my dad, the setup used by http://www.jdhcon.com/Vette.html looks like the best idea, my dad is a very hands on type of guy, i showed him the pics

and

and he said yeah we can do it just take our time and it can be done

So are u saying the PT52 Precision Turbo with .85 AR Ratio, will be 2 big? as i would like 2 built my turbo setup around one that is already working

Also Money, and time isnt a problem as i also own a poopiety $1000 car which gets me from a 2 b and works fine, so the vette is kind of my weekend supercar. (money is a problem but as time isnt money will increase over time :jester )

[Modified by Soulja_350, 2:37 AM 10/11/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

As long as you realize this won't be a daily driver you'll be good to go. Check the pick for accessories, new mounting bracket for the new alternator, and of course no A/C :cry If you gut the compartment and start from scratch you'll be fine for this setup. I was assuming a mostly bolt on setup, but this is going to be a whole new everything under the hood. no way your gonna get it done by feb. Like your dad said, be patient. I'm assuming you'll be doing the 406 before the turbo kit so you don't blow something up. Also think about the tranny and rear end. There was another tpi custom turbo that I saw on the web, the guy is on the forum, but I forgot his name. He'd be excelent to talk to. He's not around 1000 hp, but still cool none the less. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Here ya go, this is Jerry L. Myers's car aka ex-gold87
http://www.twinturbovette.net/Home1.htm

Another good person to talk to would be monty(forum name) check his sig and you'll like it.

Oh, yeah, don't forget about your new ecu you'll need for the car too.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

As long as you realize this won't be a daily driver you'll be good to go. Check the pick for accessories, new mounting bracket for the new alternator, and of course no A/C :cry If you gut the compartment and start from scratch you'll be fine for this setup. I was assuming a mostly bolt on setup, but this is going to be a whole new everything under the hood. no way your gonna get it done by feb. Like your dad said, be patient. I'm assuming you'll be doing the 406 before the turbo kit so you don't blow something up. Also think about the tranny and rear end. There was another tpi custom turbo that I saw on the web, the guy is on the forum, but I forgot his name. He'd be excelent to talk to. He's not around 1000 hp, but still cool none the less. Let me see if I can find it.
2 600hp turbos with a 406block = very fun daily drive :jester,
I wanna pre-set the psi lvl at 6,8,10,12,14,18,20 and 22. and if i really want 2 get it 2 be a daily drive i guess i can drive it at 6psi.

Yeah the block work should be done by feb14th, turbo maybe 2005 feb :D, i got exams and stuff coming up so not alot of work will be done for about 2months after that i will get stuck into buying all the stuff and planning everything. I also plan on C/F most of the car (doors,targa,hood (wit high-rise), bodykit,) and change the glass 2 take off alot of the weight and add a roll cage for safty.

Tranny and read end, will be a similar setup 2 the one at http://www.jdhcon.com/Vette.html
Old 10-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Oh, yeah, don't forget about your new ecu you'll need for the car too.
wat type do u requirment i go for? i dont know maybe built for v8 turbo setups, should i just buy a j-spec one? (hks type brand)
Old 10-10-2003, 11:52 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Here's the problem with presetting the boost to 6psi. Those turbos are big enough to supply ALOT of air. When a turbo gets going, it spins up, blows by the preset psi and then the wastegate kicks in, then it comes back down. You'll get a boost "spike". With these turbos your spike is going to be way up there. It's kind of like fine tuning a 10# sledge hammer to nail in a finishing nail.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

I'm getting an accel DFI genVII for my stand alone. It's the "newest and greatest" thing out there. FAST is another good standalone for V8's and there new system should be just like the accel's, give or take a few bells and whistles.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Here's the problem with presetting the boost to 6psi. Those turbos are big enough to supply ALOT of air. When a turbo gets going, it spins up, blows by the preset psi and then the wastegate kicks in, then it comes back down. You'll get a boost "spike". With these turbos your spike is going to be way up there. It's kind of like fine tuning a 10# sledge hammer to nail in a finishing nail.
hmmm, i see the problem.
With the wastegate is it possable 2 have 2 let out the smoke (that is wat i call it) not into the exhuast but on the side of the car kind of like the nos value system (the pic i am thinking of is the skyline of 2f2f get the pictuer?)

Anywayz it is midnight, so i better head off 2 bed got a big day 2morrow, i will catch up on the posting when i wake up Cya!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:02 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

With the wastegate is it possable 2 have 2 let out the smoke (that is wat i call it) not into the exhuast but on the side of the car kind of like the nos value system (the pic i am thinking of is the skyline of 2f2f get the pictuer?)
You dont have to run the wastegates exhaust back into the main exhaust system. it will be louder when the turbos are dumping exhaust. A friend of mine ran his MR2 like this for a while, he got sick of hearing it.

I am not following you all that well on the part about the 2F2F skyline. That was N2O being sprayed out of it. the wastegates wont make smoke like that. mainly noise. unless you mean, your just referencing where you wanna dump the exhuast out.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Project

Old 10-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Talk to ski_dwn_it, he has a baddazz 406 in his Corvette and he runs low 11;s I believe. Anyway a Mildy built 406 should make 400HP at least, this is what Im shooting for, I doubt you would need more then this, I mean comeon, your stock vette probably makes less then 250Hp and you want to go straight to 600? This would spoil yourself and you will become "Used" to the acceleration it would pull. Therefore I recommend you go up in increment, maybe 400HP next year or the end of this year with a 406, and then a couple of years later get a Nitrous kit, a few years after that get a SC or Turbo. :yesnod: :thumbs:
Old 10-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: Turbo Project (bill mcdonald)

You dont have to run the wastegates exhaust back into the main exhaust system. it will be louder when the turbos are dumping exhaust. A friend of mine ran his MR2 like this for a while, he got sick of hearing it.

I am not following you all that well on the part about the 2F2F skyline. That was N2O being sprayed out of it. the wastegates wont make smoke like that. mainly noise. unless you mean, your just referencing where you wanna dump the exhuast out.
ok, sorry i didnt explain myself very well, wat i ment 2 say was that if i am running an external wastegate, the exhuast gases go through separate pipes (they don't use the exhuast piping) is it possable 2 dump it out of the side of the car like The 2f2f Skyline, Also if the exhuast gas is mix with some sort of die (possable red, or blue) wouldnt you be able 2 get the same effect as the nos being spray out?

I imagine, it will produces a very loud sound, will this be legal? Maybe it would be possable 2 have 2 piping from the wastegate
1. into the exhuast piping
2. into the side of the car (vent the exhaust directly to the atmosphere)
and have a switch 2 change where 2 goes *just a crazy idea*

[Modified by Soulja_350, 1:59 PM 10/11/2003]

[Modified by Soulja_350, 2:22 PM 10/11/2003]
Old 10-11-2003, 01:21 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

I'm getting an accel DFI genVII for my stand alone. It's the "newest and greatest" thing out there. FAST is another good standalone for V8's and there new system should be just like the accel's, give or take a few bells and whistles.
After searching in google and reading about that setup it sounds good, alot of info (and i have a spair laptop i can use) but wat about the boost controll, turbo timing and other turbo related computer controll poopie.
I was also over at http://www.greenline.jp and was looking at a few of the j-spec products for that type of stuff, it looks like they are only built 2 fix j-spec cars, i will try and find out if they will work on a v8 turbo setup

Quick Reply: Turbo Project