C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ride control ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 AM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride control ???

How can I tell if the ride control switch is working?
How can I tell if I have the FX3 suspension? Is that ride control?
I have a 92 convertible and I'm wanting to replace the shocks

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ride control ??? (tcal95z1)

How can I tell if the ride control switch is working?
First, check and see if the bulb lights up when you start the car (service ride control)

How can I tell if I have the FX3 suspension? Is that ride control?
You will have a 3 way switch in between the two seat controls. Yes FX3 is the ride control.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: ride control ??? (Jeffvette)

The light doesn't come on. I figured since the shocks are stock with 79k that they need replaced.
Is there anything else to check?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you turn on the key (to ignition, but not starting), each shock motor tests itself by 'moving' 3 times, so by feeling the motor unit on the front shocks, and anywhere on the rear shock, you will be able to tell if they are working. You should also be able to 'hear' it working. If the motors aren't working, then the 'ride control' switch probably doesn't do anything (my guess is the computer says to ignore the switch if the actuators do not work).

Also, not sure on the 92, but for our 94, you can pull the 'codes', to also check if everything is working correctly (as the motor movement doesn't mean the shock gear or Actuator gear isn't broken (as was the case on our left front).

By the way, the light bulb 'trick' might not work if someone removed the bulb (as was done on our 94).

:flag

[Modified by theadmiral94, 10:32 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

The light doesn't come on. I figured since the shocks are stock with 79k that they need replaced.
Is there anything else to check?

Thanks
Tom
The bulb has been removed. Remove the center panel and replace the bulb, then you can start troubleshooting the system. It can be anything from a bad actuator to a shock gear being broken off.

Let me know when you get the bulb replaced and I'll walk you through the diagnositc checks.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:55 PM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

I just checked and the ride control light doesn't come on at all.
I did notice when I trun on the key I hear a series of 3 noises that sound like maybe the ride control test you mentioned.
How do I replace the bulb and where can I buy one at?

How often should the FX3 shocks be replaced and where is the best place to buy them?
How much of a difference do the 3 settings make?

Thanks for all the help
Old 10-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

I just checked and the ride control light doesn't come on at all. How do I replace the bulb and where can I buy one at?
Remove the shifter console, then undo the 2 screws/bolts at the bottom of the DIC plate, and remove the center AC vent. DIC panel pulls off. Torx bolts hold the actual DIC panel in, remove it as the bulb is a bare wire bulb. It's a pain to mount. Just use the one from the LTPWS :D Not sure what size it is, but any auto parts store should have them, if not there, radio shack.

I did notice when I trun on the key I hear a series of 3 noises that sound like maybe the ride control test you mentioned.
Is this imediately after starting the car and sitting still? The other noise it maybe is the AB system.

How often should the FX3 shocks be replaced and where is the best place to buy them?
Buy them directly from Bilstein, or have yours rebuilt by them.

How much of a difference do the 3 settings make?
You will not feel them at low speeds. But you should feel them at around 30+ on uneven surfaces.

Thanks for all the help[/QUOTE]

NP :cheers:
Old 10-30-2003, 09:28 AM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Hi,

Whats LTPWS?

I hear the 3 noises with the engine off just after I turn the key to the on position.

Where can I get the shocks rebuilt and does bilstien have a web site?
What should they cost to rebuild or buy new?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Hi,

Whats LTPWS?

I hear the 3 noises with the engine off just after I turn the key to the on position.

Where can I get the shocks rebuilt and does bilstien have a web site?
What should they cost to rebuild or buy new?

Thanks
Tom
LTPWS is low tire pressure warning system. It's worthless.

The noises you hear are mst likely the fuel pump priming, and possibly the FX3.

To rebuild the shocks is roughly half the cost of buying new FX3 shocks.

Contact info:

1-800-537-1085

Bilstein Repair Dept.
14102 Stowe Dr
Poway, CA 92064
Old 10-30-2003, 10:28 PM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Thanks,

The 3 noises are not the fuel pump. I've had a LT1 for quite a while in another car and I know what that sounds like.

Thanks again for all the help. I called a place today called Willcox and they told me $1800 for all 4 shocks. I almost laughed. Even mid America is $800 and I thought that was crazy. My Hal shocks didn't even cost that much.

Is it a bad idea to just replace them with a good aftermarket shock? I would rather keep the car stock but those prices are crazy.
I will call bilstein tomorrow. Do you have any idea how fast they can do this and do they do a good job?

Thanks again
Old 10-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Turnaround time should be less than 3 weeks since you live so close. THat includes shipping both ways.

I had them rebuild mine last year and went with a stiffer valving. I absolutely love them. I'll be installing coilovers soon as well.

Yopu can install regular shocks and be done with the whole mess as well. It won't hurt anything.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:22 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: ride control ??? (theadmiral94)

When you turn on the key (to ignition, but not starting), each shock motor tests itself by 'moving' 3 times, so by feeling the motor unit on the front shocks, and anywhere on the rear shock, you will be able to tell if they are working. You should also be able to 'hear' it working. If the motors aren't working, then the 'ride control' switch probably doesn't do anything (my guess is the computer says to ignore the switch if the actuators do not work).

Also, not sure on the 92, but for our 94, you can pull the 'codes', to also check if everything is working correctly (as the motor movement doesn't mean the shock gear or Actuator gear isn't broken (as was the case on our left front).

By the way, the light bulb 'trick' might not work if someone removed the bulb (as was done on our 94).

:flag

[Modified by theadmiral94, 10:32 PM 10/28/2003]
I don't think you can pull the codes on a '92 for a service FX3 issue. My light doesn't come on at startup, either, so someone's either pulled the bulb or it's burned out. My shocks aren't leaking and the actuator's don't appear to be cracked, at least not from the outside.... :confused:
Old 10-31-2003, 09:27 PM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: ride control ??? (onedef92)

I called Bilstein today and they told me unless the gear on top of the shock is broke that the shocks do not wear out.
They said it's usually one of the motors on top of teh shock or the gear.
They also said the motors are only available from salvage yards?????
Old 11-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

If the shocks don't wear out, then why do they ecventually start leaking? If shocks never wore out, all you would have to buy for a car is one set :rolleyes:

It's either typically the gear or the actuator. Actuators can be had from GM for about 200 as well. Cheaper from a salvage or second party.

Old 11-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Jeffvette is right on with his advice :thumbs:

I followed it and had Bilstein rebuild my shocks w/ stiffer valveing. They turned out great!!

Jeffvette, you mentioned you may be switching to coil-overs. My front spring will need replaceing soon and i'm thinking of doing the coil-overs myself. Since I just recently had the shocks rebuilt, I don't want to have to buy a new set with the coil-over packages.

My plan is to have some shop thread my shocks, then buy the the coil over pieces seperately. I was just curious as to your plan for coil-overs.

Thanks
--steve
Old 11-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: ride control ??? (Raistlin)

Hey Steve. The coilover packages typically do not come with shocks. WHen Bilstein rebuilt mine, I had them notch the shocks for the setup from DRM.

Old 11-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Jeff :smash:

My apologies to tcal95z1 for the thread hijack. Now, back to our scheduled programming....
Old 11-01-2003, 11:13 PM
tcal95z1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: ride control ??? (Raistlin)

I was just repeating what bilstein told me. When they said the shocks don't wear out they were not talking about leaks. They did mention leaks on the phone. I had never heard anything like this before.
I believe what they were saying is that their internal parts don't wear out and that if you don't have a leak or a broken gear the shock will last forever.

I would really like to ge tthe factory system working but I can't believe how much these parts cost for the FX3 system
Old 11-03-2003, 07:47 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I was just repeating what bilstein told me. When they said the shocks don't wear out they were not talking about leaks. They did mention leaks on the phone. I had never heard anything like this before.
I believe what they were saying is that their internal parts don't wear out and that if you don't have a leak or a broken gear the shock will last forever.

I would really like to ge tthe factory system working but I can't believe how much these parts cost for the FX3 system
If you think that's something wait'll you see the replacement costs for the optional magnetic dampening shocks in the 50th Anniversary C-5! :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To ride control ???

Quick Reply: ride control ???