C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 theft deturrant system

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:54 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1984 theft deturrant system

Does anyone know how to remove this system? How does it disable the starter circuit? I have issues with starting my car after I take it for a ride ....when I turn the car off & try to restart it I turn the key & get nothing....not even a click. I put a test wire on the purple wire on the starter when someone else advanced the key & there is NO power at the wire....eliminating the starter as the problem. I am convinced it it the stupid factory alarm? I am hoping to find out exactly where the system meets the starter circuit so I can delete it! If I wait a few hours the car starts right up? Any input would greatly be appreciated. :confused:
Old 11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (yoslambo1@cs.com)

Could it be the starter relay itself?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (Bluevette85)

Could it be the starter relay itself?
Where is the starter relay? :confused:
Old 11-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

I didn't know they had a theft system in '84. But if they don't there could be other things. What about the neutral interlock? The wires for mine arn't too far from my headers. Is it possible yours may be shorting out somewhere and the car thinks it's in gear? Good luck. I hate intermittent problems like that. You're going to have to get it to do it in order to diagnose things.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (Bob86ZZ4)

I didn't know they had a theft system in '84. But if they don't there could be other things. What about the neutral interlock? The wires for mine arn't too far from my headers. Is it possible yours may be shorting out somewhere and the car thinks it's in gear? Good luck. I hate intermittent problems like that. You're going to have to get it to do it in order to diagnose things.
They do have a theft deturrant system...I just bought a neutral saftey switch & ignition switch but really dont think they are the problem...I really think it is the damm alarm. :confused: I will check for burnt wires ...thanks. :thumbs:
Old 11-03-2003, 02:50 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe just unplug it? The TDM is located behind the passenger side dash panel, you can get to it from underneath.

The starter interrupt is connected to terminal E (light blue) on the TDM harness. Just cut it.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

The relay is behind the information panel.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:08 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (Bluevette85)

The relay is behind the information panel.
When I was messing with my stereo I also removed the panal above it & remember unplugging a black relay....then I replugged it in...I have been having issues since! If I unplug the relay (it was black) will it do away with the stupid alarm?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:10 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (CentralCoaster)

Maybe just unplug it? The TDM is located behind the passenger side dash panel, you can get to it from underneath.

The starter interrupt is connected to terminal E (light blue) on the TDM harness. Just cut it.
where is the TDM harness? Where is terminal e? :confused: Thanks in advance! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 05:54 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

where is the TDM harness? Where is terminal e?

The TDM is located behind the passenger side dash panel, you can get to it from underneath. (The TDM harness plugs into the TDM) On my '85 it's located there, but maybe different on your '84. The TDM itself is the same part between years though.)

Where is terminal e? :confused:
Terminal E is the light blue wire. The TDM plug has 13 pins. Terminal E is the fifth one over from one side, just cut the light blue wire.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

If you hooked up that starter kill relay wrong, there's your problem.

The TDM sends a ground signal out of terminal E, which energizes that relay, and cuts power to the starter for 20 seconds, or however long.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
xfrosty
7th Gear

the theft deterrent module is behind the dash pad lower center of passengar side . it is held in place with metal wrap around bracket with to bolts. it can be reached from under side of dash just reach up in about 3 inches . the wire that runs to the starter interrupt relay is label (E) on plug you will see the letters molded on the plug. you can cut it or unplug the whole unit . this is how it works relay is a always closed relay,when the module is actived it sends power to the relay opening it here by disconnecting power from the battery to starter solenoid here by keeping it from starting until you use the key to disarm the system if the key does not do disarm try the other door if this does not work the door lock switch is bad. the cost of the swith just cut the wire
Old 11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (frosty)

Thanks everyone...I am gonna try to disarm it this weekend! :thumbs:
Old 11-04-2003, 04:01 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I have 1 more quick question...I noticed that when my car will not start I can not use the button in the center console to open the back glass(I must pull the manual cord in the back of the car), but once the car decides to start I can push the button....Do you think they have anything in common? I hope so???:confused:
Old 11-04-2003, 05:25 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Hmm.

The rear hatch buttons are only supposed to be disabled when the car is running in gear.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Hmm.

The rear hatch buttons are only supposed to be disabled when the car is running in gear.
Huh ...now I am leaning towards the neutral safty switch! I am still gonna do away with the alarm! :banghead:
Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

where is the TDM harness? Where is terminal e?

The TDM is located behind the passenger side dash panel, you can get to it from underneath. (The TDM harness plugs into the TDM) On my '85 it's located there, but maybe different on your '84. The TDM itself is the same part between years though.)

Where is terminal e? :co nfused:

Terminal E is the light blue wire. The TDM plug has 13 pins. Terminal E is the fifth one over from one side, just cut the light blue wire.
I found it however terminal e isnnt a light blue wire on my car? :confused: Update....I just unplugged the whole thing...the car started still so I will go for a long ride today & cross my fingers? :confused: I also changed the neutral safty switch (easy) & ignbition switch (pita).....I hope the problem is fixed...The only thing I didnt replace is the starter because I had no power to the purple wire when It wouldnt start...I was told if there wasnt power to the purple wire when it wouldnt start than the starter is not the problem?i :confused: I hope its fixed! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 theft deturrant system

Old 11-08-2003, 12:01 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1984 theft deturrant system

Eric

I would have to completely agree with you on how much crap they put in todays cars, making it harder to diagnose what is wrong when it goes wrong. This is a perfect example. Luckily that stuff didn't start while we we're at Lebanon :eek: imagine that? quite a long ride home, and how the heck would we have gotten a tow truck with no cell signal?

Hope she's all fixed now. :cheers:
Old 11-08-2003, 01:48 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: 1984 theft deturrant system (Jay 383)

Eric

I would have to completely agree with you on how much crap they put in todays cars, making it harder to diagnose what is wrong when it goes wrong. This is a perfect example. Luckily that stuff didn't start while we we're at Lebanon :eek: imagine that? quite a long ride home, and how the heck would we have gotten a tow truck with no cell signal?

Hope she's all fixed now. :cheers:
Yeah...I hate computer/electiical bs!Thank god it didnt happen at the track! I am gonna go for a long ride at 2:00 today...I will post if its fixed or not? :smash:
Old 11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

terminal e isnnt a light blue wire on my car? :confused: Update....I just unplugged the whole thing...the car started still so I will go for a long ride today & cross my fingers? :confused: I also changed the neutral safty switch (easy) & ignbition switch (pita).....I hope the problem is fixed...The only thing I didnt replace is the starter because I had no power to the purple wire when It wouldnt start...I was told if there wasnt power to the purple wire when it wouldnt start than the starter is not the problem?i :confused: I hope its fixed! :smash:
Update....After doing all of this the son of a bitch still will not start once hot! :banghead:If I wait 1 hour & 45 minutes the car starts right up! I am gonna change the starter next(whole nother bs story) even though the purple wire doesnt have power! :confused: If the starter doesnt solve the issue I guess I will bring it to an electric shop! :confused:

Quick Reply: 1984 theft deturrant system