C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:05 PM
84 L-83
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems???

I have an 84 with the crossfire intake. Every time I turn around thier is another sensor that goes out causing the car not to run. I have thought about removing the Cross-Fire injection systems with a holley four barrel, and a normal intake, thinking that if I remove the senosors from the engine they can't cause me any further problems. I have three big questions.

1. Would this really, help?

2. Would a carb and normal intake fit under the hood?

3. What carb and intake should I use.

Thanks for your answers.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:22 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems??? (84 L-83)

1. Would this really, help? YES!

2. Would a carb and normal intake fit under the hood? YES

3. What carb and intake should I use. I used holly 750

Thanks for your answers.
Your welcome! :cheers: Drop me an email...I have a great article that I can fax you that definetly would help! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 06:43 PM
somethingerother
Heel & Toe

I asked the same question for my 84 vette, but I have no idea how to go about converting it or where to get the parts, but I believe it to be possible. I havnt found any information yet but if I do I'll drop a line. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:52 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems??? (somethingerother)

I asked the same question for my 84 vette, but I have no idea how to go about converting it or where to get the parts, but I believe it to be possible. I havnt found any information yet but if I do I'll drop a line. Good luck.
Drop me an email with a fax # & I will fax you a great articl that goes into detail on converting a crossfire to carb! :cheers: I have a carbed 84 & love it! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It can be done here is a pic of my old L83 with a carb. Just need to buy a lock up kit for the trany and a new distributor along with the carb and intake

And here's the latest with the LT1

[Modified by 84LT1, 5:57 PM 11/3/2003]
Old 11-03-2003, 07:01 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems??? (84LT1)

[QUOTE]It can be done here is a pic of my old L83 with a carb. Just need to buy a lock up kit for the trany and a new distributor along with the carb and intake

/QUOTE] You do not have to buy a lockup kit for the tranny...on a 84 (only a 84) the computer will still tell the tranny to shift. :thumbs: You will need a new old style distributer & a fuel pressure regulator! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 07:20 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Default Re: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems??? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

You do not have to buy a lockup kit for the tranny...on a 84 (only a 84) the computer will still tell the tranny to shift. :thumbs: You will need a new old style distributer & a fuel pressure regulator! :cheers:
You are correct that you dont have to buy a TCC lock up kit for a 84 and you can actualy remove the ECM if you ground the TCC control wire. The wiring on the 84 will only lock the converter up in 4th and it will unlock as soon as you apply the brakes and the TCC shuttle valve will prevent stalling. The problem with this system is it doesn't take the engine load into consideration and it will always lock up as soon as you hit 4th. That is why I recomend spending the $100 to get the kit with the vacume switch to detect engine load and prevent lock up under extream conditions.

[Modified by 84LT1, 6:22 PM 11/3/2003]
Old 11-04-2003, 09:28 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

You do not have to buy a lockup kit for the tranny...on a 84 (only a 84) the computer will still tell the tranny to shift. :thumbs: You will need a new old style distributer & a fuel pressure regulator! :cheers:

You are correct that you dont have to buy a TCC lock up kit for a 84 and you can actualy remove the ECM if you ground the TCC control wire. The wiring on the 84 will only lock the converter up in 4th and it will unlock as soon as you apply the brakes and the TCC shuttle valve will prevent stalling. The problem with this system is it doesn't take the engine load into consideration and it will always lock up as soon as you hit 4th. That is why I recomend spending the $100 to get the kit with the vacume switch to detect engine load and prevent lock up under extream conditions.

[Modified by 84LT1, 6:22 PM 11/3/2003]
I guess if you have a stock tranny that will come into account....I have a trans go shift kit so my car doesnt go into lockup until I am deep into 4th. I wouldnt remove the ecm cause it still controlls all the guages. :thumbs:
Old 11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Default Re: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems??? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

I wouldnt remove the ecm cause it still controlls all the guages. :thumbs:
Disagree the ECM doesn't control any of the gauges except the MPG and if you go to a carb and new, old style distributor it will not calculate MPG with or without the ECM. I have had my ECM out for over 2 years and all of my gauges work fine. None of the gauge sensors go to the ECM. I have seen a few people make this mistake but I traced every wire for the gauges and the ECM is not needed. I completely removed the wiring for the ECM as well when I installed the LT1 harness and the only wires I used where the 12v sources from the fuse box and a couple of the ALDL wires.

[Modified by 84LT1, 9:54 AM 11/4/2003]
Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I wouldnt remove the ecm cause it still controlls all the guages. :thumbs:

Disagree the ECM doesn't control any of the gauges except the MPG and if you go to a carb and new, old style distributor it will not calculate MPG with or without the ECM. I have had my ECM out for over 2 years and all of my gauges work fine. None of the gauge sensors go to the ECM. I have seen a few people make this mistake but I traced every wire for the gauges and the ECM is not needed. I completely removed the wiring for the ECM as well when I installed the LT1 harness and the only wires I used where the 12v sources from the fuse box and a couple of the ALDL wires.

[Modified by 84LT1, 9:54 AM 11/4/2003]
Huh? I am gonna write an exact execrt out of a magazine that goes into detail about converting a crossfire to carb...."The computer on a 1984 controls the ignition & fuel injectionsystem, but is differant from the later computers that moniters & controls the engines systems and which if modified will not allow the engine to accelerate. The 1984 computer will continue to run the "dashboard" and cooling system, as well as the air conditioning unit, and will not slow the car down so you cant go over 3000rpm as in the case of 1985 & later cars." I left my computer in the car? I agree about mpg not working but all my other guages work 100%! :thumbs:
Old 11-04-2003, 11:34 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

[Modified by 84LT1, 9:54 AM 11/4/2003] Huh? I am gonna write an exact execrt out of a magazine that goes into detail about converting a crossfire to carb...."The computer on a 1984 controls the ignition & fuel injectionsystem, but is differant from the later computers that moniters & controls the engines systems and which if modified will not allow the engine to accelerate. The 1984 computer will continue to run the "dashboard" and cooling system, as well as the air conditioning unit, and will not slow the car down so you cant go over 3000rpm as in the case of 1985 & later cars." I left my computer in the car? I agree about mpg not working but all my other guages work 100%! :thumbs: [/QUOTE]

Yoslambo,
The way you are running is fine but you dont need the ECM for any of the functions listed in the article. If they are refering to a carb conversion then they are just wrong.

Look at the wiring diagrams from this link http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/cfte...ID=18&CAT_ID=1

My car is an 84 and the A/C blows ice cold as well as all of the gauges working. If you look the first wiring diagram, 8A-130 you can see that the A/C signal is wired in parallel to the ECM and the ECM is not needed. For the cooling fans look at pic. 8A-14 and you can see the ECM is not needed here either. The link does not provide the rest of the wiring but my manuals did and it is the same story for all the gauges, none of them need the ECM.
Having the ECM in place will not stop the gauges from working because it is not needed. The reason I pulled it in the first place was I wasn’t sure what damage would be caused by leaving it in with no references other than the 12V signals and my ECM had a jet chip I did not want to get damaged (Sold it on e-bay). If you feel more comfortable with the ECM there it will not hurt anything (except possibly the ECM) and every thing will continue to work without problems unless the ECM takes a dive and quits sending the ground for TCC lock up. The only wires that even need to be used from the ECM are the F/P relay wire (Tie it to 12V ing.) and the TCC lock up (Tie it to ground)
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

[Modified by 84LT1, 9:54 AM 11/4/2003] Huh? I am gonna write an exact execrt out of a magazine that goes into detail about converting a crossfire to carb...."The computer on a 1984 controls the ignition & fuel injectionsystem, but is differant from the later computers that moniters & controls the engines systems and which if modified will not allow the engine to accelerate. The 1984 computer will continue to run the "dashboard" and cooling system, as well as the air conditioning unit, and will not slow the car down so you cant go over 3000rpm as in the case of 1985 & later cars." I left my computer in the car? I agree about mpg not working but all my other guages work 100%! :thumbs:

Yoslambo,
The way you are running is fine but you dont need the ECM for any of the functions listed in the article. If they are refering to a carb conversion then they are just wrong.

Look at the wiring diagrams from this link http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/cfte...ID=18&CAT_ID=1

My car is an 84 and the A/C blows ice cold as well as all of the gauges working. If you look the first wiring diagram, 8A-130 you can see that the A/C signal is wired in parallel to the ECM and the ECM is not needed. For the cooling fans look at pic. 8A-14 and you can see the ECM is not needed here either. The link does not provide the rest of the wiring but my manuals did and it is the same story for all the gauges, none of them need the ECM.
Having the ECM in place will not stop the gauges from working because it is not needed. The reason I pulled it in the first place was I wasnÂ?t sure what damage would be caused by leaving it in with no references other than the 12V signals and my ECM had a jet chip I did not want to get damaged (Sold it on e-bay). If you feel more comfortable with the ECM there it will not hurt anything (except possibly the ECM) and every thing will continue to work without problems unless the ECM takes a dive and quits sending the ground for TCC lock up. The only wires that even need to be used from the ECM are the F/P relay wire (Tie it to 12V ing.) and the TCC lock up (Tie it to ground)
I guess you could run it either way? I am gonna leave it alone since my computer is still running my tranny...nice to know I can remove it though! Thanks for the info! :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 11-04-2003, 12:50 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

I guess you could run it either way? I am gonna leave it alone since my computer is still running my tranny...nice to know I can remove it though! Thanks for the info! :thumbs: :cheers: [/QUOTE]

My saying is If it's not broke don't fix it. Looks like there is more than one way to skin this cat and thanks for your information :cheers:
Old 11-04-2003, 03:48 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I guess you could run it either way? I am gonna leave it alone since my computer is still running my tranny...nice to know I can remove it though! Thanks for the info! :thumbs: :cheers:

My saying is If it's not broke don't fix it. Looks like there is more than one way to skin this cat and thanks for your information :cheers:
Well put! :thumbs: Here is a picture of my Carbed engine http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/phot...sort=1&cat=528
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
84 L-83
4th Gear

Thanks, for the help gentlemen. I guess I should have asked this question before I paid three hundred dollars to get the TBI sensor changed. Live and learn.

One more question, Yoslambo what do you do to get a 12sec 1/4 in a 84????
Old 11-04-2003, 05:30 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Thanks, for the help gentlemen. I guess I should have asked this question before I paid three hundred dollars to get the TBI sensor changed. Live and learn.

One more question, Yoslambo what do you do to get a 12sec 1/4 in a 84????
I have a 383 stroker,375 gears,2800 stall convertor & more! :D
Old 11-06-2003, 02:22 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Where did you install the MSD 6A BOX?
Damn I love your vette.
thanks
tony
:steering:

[Modified by oldace84, 11:23 PM 11/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems???

Quick Reply: Replacing the Cross-fire for a Carburated systems???