C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question on the operation of the torque converter stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 01:02 AM
ENGINE TROOP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the operation of the torque converter stall

when a torqe converter stall speed is advertised to be 2200 rpm, I imagined that when driving my car, it would be like letting the clutch out at 2200 rpm.
Is this the incorrect interpritation of stall speed. I guess it must be, because a couple of months ago when I bought my trans and converter from bowtie overdrives I had that idea. But as soon as I put it in drive, it jumps and holds there at idle, I have to use alot more brake pressure than before to keep it still while idling.
if it helps i have the stage II transmission and the 2200 heavy duty converter.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:53 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Question on the operation of the torque converter stall (perryroger86vette)

That is a pretty good anology; a higher stall TC allows you to launch at higher rpm for more torque.

If you nail the throttle at low speed, with the TC unlocked, the tach will "flash" to very near the stall speed of the TC.

If you could lock the tranny output shaft and slowly increase engine rpm the engine would stall at or very near the TC's stall speed as there would be little or no slippage within the TC at that rpm.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:37 AM
ENGINE TROOP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on the operation of the torque converter stall (65Z01)

So let me get this correct in my mind. when my car is at an idle, the torque converter is obviously not sitting idle but applying a little bit of torqe to the drive line and if I hit the trottle quickly, the revs will jump fast until they reach 22oo rpm and that is when the torqe converter puts as much torqe as it can to the drive line with the exeption of the lock up.
So at idle when i am at a stop the car should act the same as with the stock converter?

Get notified of new replies

To Question on the operation of the torque converter stall

Quick Reply: Question on the operation of the torque converter stall