C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Arthur
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need?

I am in need for a diagnostic tool for my 1995 Corvette LT1 Roadster. I read everywhere that the OBDI standard was applicable to cars until 1995, and OBDII from 1996 on.

Occasionally I have also seen some conflicting information about the 1995 Corvette. Someone told me that "some" '95s are OBDII compliant.

In case it helps, the diagnostic connector in my Corvette is identical (two rows of 8 pins each) to the connector in my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban, but I do not know whether OBDI connectors are same or different than OBDII conectors.

Can you please tell me if my car is OBDI or OBDII, or tell me what to look for in order for me to make that determination. I would like to purchase the correct diagnostic tool as soon as practical.

Incidentally, the manes I hear most frequently are Actron and Auto X-Ray. Any recommendations between the two brands?

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need? (Arthur)

I think GM started putting the OBDII type connector on the '95 Vettes even tho they were still OBDI systems. If I was you I would buy this tool:

I bought one of these and it works very well. You can get it from the Mac tool guy. Here's the page on their web site that describes it: http://www.mactools.com/ProductDetai...ItemNum=ET9640

With this tool you can scan just about all the OBDI and OBDII cars you're going to run across. I know you can get something cheaper and there will be others suggesting other tools but I like mine. This is a true scan tool also, not just a code reader. Very usefull info with it.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need? (Bob86ZZ4)

Actually, I steered you a bit wrong. The above link is to the Mac 9640. That's what I have. But, it's made by KalEquip and here's their site for it: http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_st...=6319053_97945
This is for the updated ET9640A. It's more expensive than the original 9640 but it has expanded software. I did the update to mine and it was like $200 for the upgrade software. If you order one from a Mac guy make sure it's the A (newest software upgrade).
Old 11-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arthur,

The 95 was a transition year for the vette and OBD versions. Almost all 95s are OBD1 with most if not all having OBD2 connectors. That is why your vette has an OBD2 connector like your 2002 Suburban which is OBD2 for sure. Unless it is a late 95 it is most likely OBD1.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to check the emissions sticker. It should be on the radiator or near it under the hood. It is also possible to get the truth from the dealer via your VIN.

Most of the scan tool vendors sell an OBD2 cable for us on OBD1 cars. The MAC tool previously mentioned is an excellent choice. If you already own a laptop and are interested in a bit cheaper alternative, Ease Simulations offers an excellent OBD1 package which comes with an OBD2 cable for $350. As a rep for Ease I can get you 10% off that price if you order through me.

Check out the Ease web site at http://<a href="http://www.easesim.c...asesim.com</a>

A lot of CF members also use Datamaster. It has a free trial version I believe.

-Mike
Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM
autotech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need? (Mike_88Z51)

Go to any reputable independent shop. They will enter your vin. #s into their scanner and it will tell you then. I use a snap-on mt2500. It works great, lots of useful tips and test. Check on e-bay. Note most scanners come with different cartriges, be sure and get domestic or you will be scanning mitsubishis and the like... Good Luck... :thumbs:
Old 11-17-2003, 03:35 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your car is OBD1 but it has a OBD2 diagnostic port. If you want a good scan tool depending on your needs. You can and should try out Datamaster which can be downloaded here:
http://www.ttspowersystems.com

And you will need a cable to communicate with the PCM which can be purchased here:
http://www.akmcables.com

There are many other PC based scan tools as well. Rhinda Technologies makes a system called Diacom Plus but its expensive at over $450 for the good "plus" version.

Ease Diagnostics makes one and its around $350 or so, then there are several freebies available for download on various sites and will require the forementioned cable from AKM Cables.

I personally use Datamaster and a GM TECH2 scan tool. I don't think most people would need the TECH2 at a cost of over $3000 for the average consumer use. It is a dealership standard scan tool that the GM dealers use. Much better than anything available as far as I am concerned.

Get notified of new replies

To OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need?

Quick Reply: OBDI? OBDII? What scanner do I need?