C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Trey96LT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions

I am installing new Taylor 8mm wires on a 96LT1

does the plastic protectants that were on the factory wires need to be transfered to the new wires or can the new wires stand the heat better than factory?

how important is the use of dielectric grease on the wires to opti?

the bigger plug boots on the taylor wires are touching some of the exhaust manifold ....is this normal?

Old 11-29-2003, 09:49 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions (Trey96LT1)

I transferred the plastic wraps from my OEM wires to my MSD 8.5mm wires. I just didn't want to take any chances! These can get brittle from the years of heat, so just be careful with them if you decide to use them.

Use the dielectric grease on both ends of the plug wires. This grease keeps moisture from entering the boots and causing corrison.

I'm not too familiar with the size of the Taylor boots, but they should't touch the manifolds. The MSD wires I used had much larger boots that the OEM wires but I found no problems with them touching the manifolds. On my set, two of the boots were straignt (for cyl 6 & 8) and the rest were a 90 degree style.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions (Trey96LT1)

You should re-use the plastic spiral wound wire protectors. Good luck trying to buy any if you need others, though. They seem to be impossible to find anywhere. GM dealer parts counter was even stumped.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:14 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions (Lone Ranger)

You won't find that spiral wrap at any dealer, its a non-servicable item. You can find it at high end electronics supplys, such as Frys, Digikey, or Newark Electronics.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions (tjwong)

You won't find that spiral wrap at any dealer, its a non-servicable item. You can find it at high end electronics supplys, such as Frys, Digikey, or Newark Electronics.
I need some. Do you have a part number or specific part name it is called by the suppliers? Can it be bought online?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:41 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions (Lone Ranger)

I need some. Do you have a part number or specific part name it is called by the suppliers? Can it be bought online?
It's just electrical wire conduit, although I'm not sure if most of it was meant to endure the heat of an engine bay. I didn't bother reusing it though.

Make sure the wire boots are not touching anything or they may melt. You might want to verify that you have the right wire on the right spark plug (match up the lengths to the original plug wires)

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions

Quick Reply: LT1 Spark plug wire installation questions