C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pouring out of throttle body?????????????????

Old 12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pouring out of throttle body?????????????????

I stopped to help a lady driving a 91 coupe because she could not get the car to start.

:eek: she had fuel pouring out of the engine where the intake boot connects to the air cleaner box. no fuel around the injectors, on the intake manifold or anywhere else. Just coming out of the throttle body.

I advised her to take this unfortunately well abused car and have it towed to the nearest chevy dealer. Car never did turn back over.

Any thoughts on this...

Thanks to Morphious, I got a hold of him on my handy dandy Nextel radio and he was at a loss too....thanks again.

[Modified by Southern Comfort, 11:53 AM 12/1/2003]
Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (Southern Comfort)

Thats very strange, the only place that the fuel could come from is either from an injector that is stuck open and flooded it so bad that it backed up through the throttle body. That is highly unlikely but possible. The other explanation is the EVAP vent system is screwed up and some how fuel is backed up, filled the canister and all the way into the intake tract. I have seen the EVAP system get flooded out but not the that extent.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:00 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (tjwong)

Maybe the fuel line is split somewhere in front of the manifold and shooting upward onto the cone :confused:

Was she stranded on the road somewhere or was it in her driveway
Old 12-01-2003, 05:40 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (chucks88)

If indead fuel was coming out of the TBody,... the engine should not turn over, as it would be hydrolocked.
Fuel would have filled the runner(s). I have never heard of a injector failing in such a wide open manner. Basically the injector guts would have to complety fallen out. That would mean they are more than likely inside a cylinder. That and the hydrolocking could easily cause major piston, gasket, head, rod, or bearing damage.

Very unusual failure.
It was fuel, not coolant,... right?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (ZylaRace)

If indead fuel was coming out of the TBody,... the engine should not turn over, as it would be hydrolocked.
Fuel would have filled the runner(s). I have never heard of a injector failing in such a wide open manner. Basically the injector guts would have to complety fallen out. That would mean they are more than likely inside a cylinder. That and the hydrolocking could easily cause major piston, gasket, head, rod, or bearing damage.

Very unusual failure.
It was gas...and lots of it.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:32 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (ZylaRace)

Very unusual failure.
:iagree: That sure is a strange one. Not your usual problem for a fuel injected car.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 PM
69vetteracer
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (Southern Comfort)

Chances are the fuel pressure regulator has a ruptured diaphram. This will cause mega volumne of fuel to enter the plenum and hydralic the motor. Hope she did not bend any rods. I have seen it so bad (problem not caught in time), that fuel actually flowed from the throttle body. Probably screwed up the power brake booster as well. :chevy
Old 12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (69vetteracer)

Chances are the fuel pressure regulator has a ruptured diaphram. This will cause mega volumne of fuel to enter the plenum and hydralic the motor. Hope she did not bend any rods. I have seen it so bad (problem not caught in time), that fuel actually flowed from the throttle body. Probably screwed up the power brake booster as well. :chevy
:iagree:

Same thing happened to me. Your FP regulator diaphram is ripped causing vacuum pressure to pull fuel up into the plenum. You can pick up a new diaphram from MAD for $50.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (NUckINg FuTS)

:iagree:

Same thing happened to me. Your FP regulator diaphram is ripped causing vacuum pressure to pull fuel up into the plenum. You can pick up a new diaphram from MAD for $50.
Not my car thank goodness. Just some poor gal at the gas station. This car was totally trashed....what a pity.... :nonod:
Old 12-01-2003, 10:48 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Yep the FPR sounds like the most likely cause here.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:34 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

nice job there steve.... :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel pouring out of throttle body????????????????? (vinnies87)

That could of been really dangerous for a fire.. holy poopie!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pouring out of throttle body?????????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pouring out of throttle body?????????????????