C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 cats on L98

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 09:20 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 cats on L98

Would there be any advantage to installing LT1 cats in place of the precats on a 1986-'91 L98 while RETAINING the L98's main cat? I understand that LT1 cats flow well, so I guess that there would be no performance loss and that the exhaust would be cleaner because the car would have three 3-way cats on it. If this idea makes any sense at all, how difficult would it be to install the LT1 cats? I'm wondering if the air injection hook up for the LT1 cats would be hard.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:31 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: LT1 cats on L98 (DSKRALL)

I see no good reason to do that. The precats have little effect on the emissions of the exhaust once the engine is warmed up and the main cat starts cookin. You can easily pass emissions in 49 states without precats, though the visual might catch you.

You would have to have it all welded up, and I personally believe it wouldnt give any performance gain whatsoever.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:20 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might get some advantage of doing a set of LT1 CATs and by using a true dual system of a LT1 exhaust. You can order the CAT hanger brackets from the GM dealer and install a set of the GM CATs with the mating GM Exhaust manifolds or a set of shorty headers for a LT1 engine. If you want to do that I have a complete set of brand new LT1 manifolds and a set of LT1 CATs with less than 8500 miles on them.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:33 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LT1 cats on L98 (vader86)

:iagree:
I see no good reason to do that. The precats have little effect on the emissions of the exhaust once the engine is warmed up and the main cat starts cookin. You can easily pass emissions in 49 states without precats, though the visual might catch you.

You would have to have it all welded up, and I personally believe it wouldnt give any performance gain whatsoever.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:57 AM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to all that trouble, why not go Long Tube Headers and Random Tech cats? Then you can install a true dual exhaust of your choice behind it. You would have more total flow with no y-pipe problems.

Those LT1 cats are heavy things and hard to hang (or un-hang). Not much room up in there where they are bolted up. Maybe someone has a magic wrench that makes it all easy to do; with my tools I did a lot of cussing.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:07 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: LT1 cats on L98 (94lt1torchred)

If you are going to all that trouble, why not go Long Tube Headers and Random Tech cats? Then you can install a true dual exhaust of your choice behind it. You would have more total flow with no y-pipe problems.

Those LT1 cats are heavy things and hard to hang (or un-hang). Not much room up in there where they are bolted up. Maybe someone has a magic wrench that makes it all easy to do; with my tools I did a lot of cussing.
Sure, true duals can flow better, but they are not more effecient than an h-pipe or x-pipe.

but I do like the idea of long tubes with good cats and dual exhaust.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:33 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LT1 cats on L98 (bogus)

Thanks for the great replies. It doesn't surprise me that adding LT1 cats is probably more work than it's worth. By the way, I think I made a mistake when I talked about connecting LT1 cats to the AIR pump -- I guess the AIR pump on LT1s was only used for air injection at the exhaust manifolds. David

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 cats on L98

Quick Reply: LT1 cats on L98