C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 won't start, please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 84 won't start, please help

My 84 will not start, the car never had a starting problem in the 8 months I've owned it. The car cranks over, but will not start.

Last night I warmed the car for 5/10 minutes as I always do. Went to the store and upon returning to the car it turned over for about 5 seconds before it started. This never happened before, always starts right up.

I replaced the 1/2 shaft ujoints last month and wanted to make sure the bolts did not loosen. I started the car and let it warm 5/10 minutes and backed in the driveway. Jacked the car, checked the bolts, all is fine, release car from jack and now it will not start at all.

I'm sure checking the 1/2 shafts has nothing to do with the starting problem. I guess it all started last night when it took about 5 seconds to start.
Please get me going in the right direction.
Checked the fuel pump fuse and its good. I do not here the fuel pump when I turn the key.

[Modified by Brimis, 7:39 PM 1/3/2004]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:30 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: 84 won't start, please help (Brimis)

I was cruising this section when I got your e-mail. I just hadn't got this far by then. Here is a copy of my e-mail reply.

"I had a similar problem with mine a couple of years back. I messed up the portion in my ECM that turns on the fuel pump to prime the system before starting. When the engine is cold, the oil pressure jumps quickly, while cranking, to close the circuit to the fuel pump relay. It takes longer to build oil pressure when the engine is warm, and longer still when hot. Next time you get it good and warmed up. and it won't start quickly, jump terminals "A" and "G" on your ALDL. That activates the fuel pump relay. You should hear the pump running and it should fire up like it is supposed to. There are a lot of more norrmal causes for this, but your circumstances mirror mine, exactly. Good luck, and..."

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Follow up e-mail:

"Robert Strittmatter <brimis@verizon.net> wrote:

Jim,

thank you, just one more question. The car will not start at all. By jumping the A and G terminals on the ALDL, should this activate the pump and cause the car start?

Thank you,
Robert

CFI-EFI wrote:

Jumping "A" and "G" runs the pump, assuming the pump and the pump relay are OK. Mine wouldn't start when it was hot, either."

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Just went outside to look for the ALDL and the car started right up. I don't know if thats good or bad. In the morning I will find the ALDL and warm the car and hope when I turn it off it starts hard so I can jump A and G terminals.
As always I thank you. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To 84 won't start, please help

Quick Reply: 84 won't start, please help