C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

opti-spark wiring harness differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default opti-spark wiring harness differences?

Can someone tell me if the 95 style, vented opti uses a different plug then the 93 unvented version?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: opti-spark wiring harness differences? (93 ragtop)

I'm getting ready to upgrade to the GenII opti and I can tell you that I had to order a new harness that goes from the opti to the engine harness. If you need part numbers, let me know. :)
Old 02-03-2004, 07:30 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Default Re: opti-spark wiring harness differences? (cprgmr)

Yes, that would be great!! I have heard that you can switch the pins, that the plug is the same, and I also heard that you need the harness. I called chris at superior and he didnt know. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Okay, here we go...

Harness : PN 1213-0319
Fitting : PN 1408-2470
Vac Harness : PN 1255-8921

That's what Jeff K & Chris M at Superior Chevy told me I'd need in order to upgrade to the GenII opti. :)
Old 02-03-2004, 07:14 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Hey cprgmr,

Thanks for the list. Now you know you will need the timing cover, a longer pin in the camshaft, and a different chain set as well dont you.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:43 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Hey cprgmr,
Thanks for the list. Now you know you will need the timing cover, a longer pin in the camshaft, and a different chain set as well dont you.
You're welcome! I ended up purchasing a brand new '95 timing cover, anda Cloyes true double roller timing chain. The cam that I got with the Stage III heads is the new longer dowel pin style.
when I first started thinking about this project, I knew I could go in a couple of different directions with the buildup. One would mean keeping the original opti but that would entail grinding down the dowel pin on the cam - something I wasn't too thrilled about doing. In the end, I ended up going to the GenII opti and upgrading the entire front end. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too much of a PITA! :D
Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Sounds like you and I are doing the same thing. I have a hotcam to install, the electric water pump and I ordered the cloyes timing set. I have been on the fence with the opti, not knowing if the wiring harness is actually needed . (I had heard that you could use the orig. harness and repin it.) So what I am getting at is this, a little over $300.00 for the 95 opti and harness, or $600.00 for the dynaspark version. This car is only driven about 3000 miles a year, and this project is getting more expensive all the time. I would like the dynaspark but it is $300.00 more then the gen. 2 opti and harness.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:54 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you and I are doing the same thing. I have a hotcam to install, the electric water pump and I ordered the cloyes timing set. I have been on the fence with the opti, not knowing if the wiring harness is actually needed . (I had heard that you could use the orig. harness and repin it.) So what I am getting at is this, a little over $300.00 for the 95 opti and harness, or $600.00 for the dynaspark version. This car is only driven about 3000 miles a year, and this project is getting more expensive all the time. I would like the dynaspark but it is $300.00 more then the gen. 2 opti and harness.
I hear ya about the cost - it does get pretty darn expensive! My car is only driven 2-3000 miles per year as well. I too have been wondering if there's going to be any re-pinning (even with the new harness). I'm not sure what the connector from the engine harness is going to look like... Hopefully, everything will just plug right in, but I'm not counting on it. :) We should keep eachother in the loop as our projects progress - it's always easier to have someone to bounce questions and technical tips off of. :cheers:
Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

I agree, I will keep you posted as I find out more and the progress with the conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To opti-spark wiring harness differences?

Quick Reply: opti-spark wiring harness differences?