C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 shift kit advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 700R4 shift kit advice needed

I am installing a TransGo 700-2&3 reprogramming kit in my 92. I was going to do the Full race--automatic. The instructions say this: Full automatic shifts in "D". Holds any gear to any speed with shift lever. Backshifts to any gear to any speed by moving shift lever. High throttle 3-4 shift is controlled by lever. (3-4 shift is controlled by lever)????? My question is this: can I still put the car in OverDrive and drive normally from stop to highway speeds? My fiance drives this car and I don't want her to have to do anything different. Just get in and drive! Anybody have this kit? Thanks

[Modified by ANTI VENOM, 9:05 PM 2/3/2004]
Old 02-03-2004, 09:29 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (ANTI VENOM)

:lurk: I'm interested as well, I have a Trans-Go kit sitting in my garage and want to know if it will downshift with the stage I install. Otherwise I am considering the full-race mode. But I know this completely eliminates the automatic features and if you start in (D) it actually starts the car in 4th.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:41 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (rsafier)

What kit number do you have?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am interested in seeing where this thread goes. My question is this: if you can shift from D-2-1 and back manually by simply moving the gear selector) without a shift kit, then what is the shift kit for? I can understand the desire to firm up the shifts for drag racing, but if you want engine braking in the twisties, why not just manually downshift? What is teh advantage to a shift kit?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (eschoendorff)

I am interested in seeing where this thread goes. My question is this: if you can shift from D-2-1 and back manually by simply moving the gear selector) without a shift kit, then what is the shift kit for? I can understand the desire to firm up the shifts for drag racing, but if you want engine braking in the twisties, why not just manually downshift? What is teh advantage to a shift kit?
You can always manual downshift, even without the kit. It is suppose to firm up shifts. Also if you install in race-only form it will cease all automatic features and you must shift it through the gears for ultimate control.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:41 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Yeah that doesn't make much sense. With my stock 700r4 I can manually upshift or downshift at any speed and hold any gear to whatever speed I desire.
Firmer and quicker shifts is the only advantage far as I can tell.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (HeeHaw89)

I may be wrong, but my understanding of the set up your talking about is your Auto will be like a stick shift but with out the clutch. Meaning you have to shift from 1st thru 4th manually. Even when u need to downshift u have to do it with the stick. If u leave the stick in 3rd it stays in 3rd no matter what. When you come to a stop you have to downshift manually, then when u start to go again you have to manually put into 1st and then manually into 2nd and so on.........no more AUTOMATIC, NADA!, ZERO.....

I hope I made sense...... :cheers:

Plus it is a real BIG job to do compared to the first couple opitions u have with that kit. I think you have to take the trany out and really get inside it to do it. The other opition u just have to take the valve body off.

Like I said, I may be wrong on all of this, it would'nt be the first time :lol:

[Modified by 1SLO POK, 6:06 AM 2/4/2004]
Old 02-04-2004, 12:29 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (1SLO POK)

I know that with the stage 2, it will still shift automatically. The part about shifting from 3-4 with the lever is what confuses me. You don't have to take the tranny out of the car, but I have mine out. I am rebuilding everything. The tranny case is empty right now.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Probuilt
Advanced

Not all 700R4's will hold 1st gear to any speed, the Corvettes do this better than others. The main purpose of the kits is to increase the capacity (hold against more horsepower/torque) of 3rd & 4th gear, and it will speed up & release the 3-4 clutches on the 3-2 downshift, especially if you install "all" of the Hi-Rev return springs in the input drum. If you use one of the "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kits with "accumulation", it will make the 1-2 part throttle shifts smooth, and the shifts getting gradually firmer with more throttle.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:16 PM
grapeknutz
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (Probuilt)

Not all 700R4's will hold 1st gear to any speed, the Corvettes do this better than others. The main purpose of the kits is to increase the capacity (hold against more horsepower/torque) of 3rd & 4th gear, and it will speed up & release the 3-4 clutches on the 3-2 downshift, especially if you install "all" of the Hi-Rev return springs in the input drum. If you use one of the "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kits with "accumulation", it will make the 1-2 part throttle shifts smooth, and the shifts getting gradually firmer with more throttle.
I have installed his kit and its the best ever!!! I love it! :thumbs:
Old 02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (grapeknutz)

Well I got all new red alto clutches and a kevlar band as well as a .500 boost valve and the HI-REV return springs installed today. I also used a "beast" sun shell and a new 29 element sprag. Tomorrow I will rebuild the pump with hardened ring and a new spring, and install it. I will be installing a billet 4th servo, transgo seperator plate and the shift kit tomorrow as well. Things are going pretty good, but I have a whole new respect for automatic tranny mechanics. :eek:
Old 02-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When and if that ranny goes out get a hold of me there is a guy locally that builds one strong 700. I have seen his tranny hold up to 9.80 1/4 I have the same tranny in my car.. This is after I fried 3 of them withing 2000 miles. In fact the two had the same red Alto clutch's that you are using.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:43 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

From your description is sounds as though it will:
-start in "D" and upshift (and maybe downshift) as usual
-start in 1 or 2 and stay in that gear till you shift
-require that you manually shift from 3 to 4
Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (65Z01)

65Z01--Not directed at you, but why the &%$@ would I want to shift manually to 4th? I really hope that is not true. If I want to race or whatever, and don't want it to go to (d) I would just leave it in drive. Its too late now, I'll find out soon enough!

Corvette0096- I am far from being a tranny expert, but I doubt that the clutches were your problem. They may be what burned up, but there are so many other factors that could cause them to burn. They were probably the symptom, not the cause. That is just my take-again, this is really my first stab at the automatic transmission. I hope I have better luck than you did. lol
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

There really is ALOT of work in a full tranny rebuild. I did not have experience and ended up doing several things twice or three times. I have two 6-8 hour days into just the rebuild not including pulling the tranny. I may not get it in to test it until next week, I'll let ya know how it goes. Please cross your fingers for me, I would hate to have to pull the thing again!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:54 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

As far as anyone can tell, is there ANY advantage in having a shift kit installed for autox purposes?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 700R4 shift kit advice needed (eschoendorff)

As far as anyone can tell, is there ANY advantage in having a shift kit installed for autox purposes?
Quicker shifts and holding in gear and not kicking down (although I am pretty sure only if you install full manual mode). Only problem with AutoX use is in the SCCA rules this mod automaticly puts you into SM2. You are allowed higher stall torque converters and gears in BSP.

BTW, since I just found this out I am selling my new Trans-Go kit in the box as I am not ready to move past BSP. If anybody is interested IM me with a fair offer to consider. The price from Summit is 130.

[Modified by rsafier, 11:17 AM 2/6/2004]
Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Whoa... didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 shift kit advice needed

Quick Reply: 700R4 shift kit advice needed