C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:02 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application

I just ordered a Findanza Aluminum Flywheel for my ZF conversion from a 4+3, and went to CenterForce website and this is what I found on there "Most FAQ"

"THE PATENTED CENTERFORCE CLUTCH SYSTEM DOES NOT REQUIRE USING A SPECIAL TYPE OF FLYWHEEL. OUR FRICTION MATERIALS ARE DESIGNED TO BE USED WITH THE STOCK FLYWHEEL, AFTERMARKET STEEL BILLET FLYWHEELS, OR ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS WITH STEEL INSERT HEAT SHIELDS. HOWEVER CENTERFORCE DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS FOR STREET USE.

This is the part the has me wondering " HOWEVER CENTERFORCE DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS FOR STREET USE.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (1SLO POK)

they are soooo light that they can make for a grabby clutch.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Third Gear
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (bogus)

Not only that, but you'll have to give it considerably more gas to get the car going. It will probably stall a lot easier too. Since it is sooo light it has very little inertia compared to a stock type flywheel weighing 30-40 more pounds. So that means it is a lot easier to stop your engine. Like if you took both aluminum and a steel flywheel and started spinning them at a very slow speed and tried stopping each one by hand. The aluminum one would easily be stopped... The steel one on the other hand would take quite a bit of effort to stop. So I think it would be bear to drive on the street, but would be great for racing. Since lighter and less inertia means faster revs and less parasitic loss. Good luck :cheers:
Old 02-19-2004, 06:27 AM
FX GS
Pro

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (WickedC4)

Lighter is better!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:30 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (FX GS)

Lighter is better!!!
not always. I have read here where the super light flywheels are not the best for drag racing one of these cars...

but they are great for autocrossing...

I still think the best compromise is the Fbody flywheel...
Old 02-19-2004, 09:02 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (bogus)

I wish the Forum didn't have the problem it had yesterday since it never posted my original reply here. Anyway, I will tell it again.
I put an aluminum flywheel on my 92 Rustang GT. It was a mistake!!! The clutch and flywheel only lasted for around 15,000 miles. The heat that is generated with daily driving will warp the aluminum discs on the flywheel and chew up the clutch. I also lost some low end in doing the change. Lighter is better when you are at high RPM's, but not street driving. There, you need the weight. You also need a flywheel that can take the heat transfer of all the additional shifting you do on the street, compared to drag racing. I talk from experience here...unless you are only driving the car to and from the drag strip and intend on only racing it, I would NOT put the aluminum flywheel on. Unless you enjoy doing all the work again for a new clutch and flywheel in 15,000 miles or so. That is my $0.02. Good luck!
:cheers:
Old 02-19-2004, 09:11 AM
qwik-tripp
Racer

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (Whitvette)

bogus what kind of setup does the f body have is it a single mass and if so, is noise a factor. also what kind of weight are we talking for a f body flywheel?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Shriker
Pro

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (qwik-tripp)

Fidenza alum. = 11 lb
Camaro single mass = 18lb
Stock dual mass = 42lb

I beleive the McCleod steel is ~22lb and their alum ~15lb , I think.....
I am getting ready to do a street twin with the alum......
Old 02-19-2004, 04:08 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (Shriker)

Lighter isnt always better.

In drag racing, a heavier flywheel makes it harder to bog and easier to launch. Some say it builds torque. Whatever that means.

Also, every time you put in the clutch, the RPMs will drop faster making it necessary for you to shift faster.

Also, when climbing hills in high gear you might need to downshift, where you didnt before.

Finally, some dont like the gear noise. But you can avoid hearing the gear noise by driving properly (not short-shifting into too high of a gear at too low of a speed, etc.)

The benefit is quicker acceleration. I also think it helps me out when top-ending the car.

I have a fidanza aluminum flywheel and like it.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application (dizwiz24)

Lighter isnt always better.

In drag racing, a heavier flywheel makes it harder to bog and easier to launch. Some say it builds torque. Whatever that means.

Also, every time you put in the clutch, the RPMs will drop faster making it necessary for you to shift faster.

Also, when climbing hills in high gear you might need to downshift, where you didnt before.

Finally, some dont like the gear noise. But you can avoid hearing the gear noise by driving properly (not short-shifting into too high of a gear at too low of a speed, etc.)

The benefit is quicker acceleration. I also think it helps me out when top-ending the car.

I have a fidanza aluminum flywheel and like it.
Does anyone else have comments on the Findanza Flywheel. Because I should be getting mine in real soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application

Quick Reply: Why does CenterForce not recommend Aluminum Flywheels for street application