C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

replacing thermo

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Cory00
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing thermo

since summer is comming up soon and i want to replace my thermo to a 160 stat. my fan right now is wired to my batt. and it runs all the time but it runs at 200-210 no matter what the temp outside is. how much differ in temps should the 160 be. also how hard will it be to change it out. its a 84, is this some thing i can do in my drive way or do i need to bring it to a shop.

thanks for all the help :cheers:
Old 02-22-2004, 03:55 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: replacing thermo (Cory00)

Should be able to do it yourself. Not very difficult providing you have the nessesary tools. If you want to run a little cooler, consider drilling 4 small holes in the thermostat (per TPIS recommendation). This will reduce temp spikes by allowing some flow of coolant at all times. Make sure to use a sealant on the thermostat housing when you put it back to prevent leaks. :thumbs:

Audio system pushing 2200watts? Damn:eek: Good luck :thumbs:

[Modified by 86PACER, 12:58 AM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: replacing thermo (86PACER)

OK, let me get this straight...

Your fan runs all the time
Your car runs over 200 degrees no matter what the ambient temperature.

No offense, but you have a problem in your cooling system.

Unless your stat is partially stuck closed, changing it to a 160 will yield NO difference in how cool it runs. And will also yield no increase in power. In fact, removing it completely won't make any difference. You need to locate and repair the problem.

Try this. Remove your radiator and clean off the front of it. If you've never done this, you're in for a real surprise. It will be literally covered in bugs and crap....all of which is restricting your airflow. C4's are "bottom feeders", that is, they draw cooling air from...well....the street. And they act like a giant vacuum cleaner. Even a small amount of obstruction is no good on these cars, and can raise temps by 10-20 degrees. This should be done annually IMHO, and at least every two years. Next, make sure your system doesn't leak and holds pressure, particularly that the radiator cap is OK. Ensure that you have a good 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water, and that it is circulating correctly. Ok, now that that is done, replace your fan switch and relay if necessary and hook your fan back up correctly so you don't wear out the motor prematurely. Instead of putting in the 160, put in a 185 so your car runs in closed loop all the time like it should.

If your 84's cooling system is working correctly, you will now see temps of 185-200 on the highway, and around 200-220 in heavy stop and go traffic with the A/C on. I live in a VERY hot climate, where it can reach 110 outside in the summer, and my car runs no hotter than 195 on the highway, and averages 200-210 in the city. All this with a normal, factory fan switch, running the A/C, and with a 185 degree 'stat.

As for changing your 'stat, it's a 10 minute job. Partially drain the cooling system until the level is below the intake. Remove the hose from the thermostat housing. Remove the two bolts holding the housing on, remove the housing ( you may have to smack it with a rubber mallet). Note the position of the thermostat, and replace it accordingly. Be sure to thorougly clean the surfaces of the housing and the intake and use a new gasket or it will leak. If the old gasket is melted onto the surfaces (it will be), use a dremel with a wire wheel (not a grinding wheel) and clean off the surfaces. Now just put it back together. Make sure you torque the bolts evenly or it will leak.

Good luck, have fun.

:cheers:

Oh...BTW...here's what it looks like with the thermostat out.

[Modified by Frizlefrak, 2:22 AM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: replacing thermo (Frizlefrak)

I agree with Frizlefrak! The one comment I would add to his recommendations would be to get a fin comb. This little tool straightens out the radiator fins and yields better cooling. You can buy these from a AC supply house. I have the main fan on my 89 wired to a manual switch and the temp never gets to 200 deg F even in hot summer.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:37 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: replacing thermo (Cory00)

All of the above...Plus

What ever thermostat you have in there now, it is running wide open at your operating temps. A 160* stat will only open sooner and cause your engine to take more time to warm up. This will cause additional wear and tear, before it reaches temperature. It won't run 1 degree cooler, unless you follow the above advice. Besides, the temps you're running are fine.

On top of everythings else, you're causing unnecessary wear and tear on the fan, the way you have it wired. Not to mention the amperage you are depriving your "system". Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To replacing thermo

Quick Reply: replacing thermo