C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help!

About a month ago I bought and installed a set of new Comp Cams non-roller hyraulic lifters in my engine that I have not fired up yet. I made sure they were primed before I installed them. Now the problem is as I was installing my rocker arms I noticed as I pushed down on a pushrod the plunger would not budge! I was like oh great (this happened to me before with a set of rhodes lifters). When I took my previous set of rhodes lifters out, two of the plungers were completely seized! I am afraid this happened to one of my lifters now. The bad part is I already have the top end installed and the motor is almost ready to fire up. I would really hat to rip this motor apart again. How is it possible for this to have happened to a lifter? Please help :cry
Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help! (NUckINg FuTS)

If they have oil in them...they wont budge under hand pressure. They are designed to have very tight clearances.

I've never seen a stuck lifter new.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:27 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help! (NUckINg FuTS)

Are you looking through the push rod hole to see if it is actually frozen.
Maybe it's stuck at the bottom of it's travel :confused:
Can you pull it out through the pushrod hole ?
Good Luck :cheers:
Old 02-23-2004, 10:36 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help! (BBA)

If they have oil in them...they wont budge under hand pressure. They are designed to have very tight clearances.

I've never seen a stuck lifter new.
If they have oil in them they won't budle even with all my weight pushing down on them? All the other lifter plungers will move in and out (some not as much as others). Are you saying maybe just this one lifter is completely full of oil and the others are not?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Anyone??? I need good news!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:28 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

First, it's not recommended to prime the lifters before you install them, but since the the horse is already out of that barn I guess we should just move on.

As long as the pushrod is properly positioned inside the lifter and not on the edge or, worse case, not in the lifter at all, don't worry about it.

Just bump the engine over to get one lifter on the base circle of the corresponding camshaft lobe, set your preload, then move on to the next.

With the lifter on the base circle of the cam when you set the preload, the lifter plunger will depress.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help!

Quick Reply: Oh crap is my lifter stuck! Plunger won't budge. Help!