C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ?

Old 02-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ?

I'm getting the basic Transgo Shift kit installed, SK700, and found this during a search here -

"BTW Did you install the 3-4 Spring in the accumulator in the transgo shift? If you did take it out and reinstall your stock 3-4 spring."

The post that this was from - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=538085 - said that -

"The problem with the 3-4 spring transgo supplies is that the 3-4 WOT is pushed to a very high unusable RPM."

I'm wondering what else I need to know, are there parts in the vette trans that are better than supplied in the kit ?

I'm getting it installed next week at a tranny shop, they have no Corvette experience so anything I can pass on will be helpful.

I've spoken to the nearest shop with Corvette experience (1000miles away!) and also read up here using search - it seems that not everyone installs the complete kit and that there are a few other mods some people do.

My 1988 is a daily driver, not raced, I'm looking to make the box stronger and last longer. The kit is supposed to cure or reduce - "Stuck TV, Downshift clunk, 3-4 clutch failure, soft & slide bump shifts, reverse delay"

any advice on the Transgo ?

S'nut

[Modified by Stingraynut, 1:02 PM 2/28/2004]
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ? (Stingraynut)

Hope someone familiar with the Transgo kit can give me a few pointers - thanks

S'nut
Old 02-28-2004, 10:41 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

I'm curious about this to, I have a kit I haven't installed yet. Reading the instructions, it looks like you reuse the stock spring if you have one type of valve body and use their spring if you have the other type of valve body and 3.73 or deeper gears. Hope this helps. btw, the instructions in my kit are dated 10 June 03. Also looking for any good advice regarding this kit.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ? (shotchkiss)

Ok, that's good news if the instructions cover that sort of thing - I'm getting the kit fitted tomorrow at a transmission shop, they had 3 empty Transgo boxes on the bench, which was a good sign, but they havn't worked on a C4 before.

In my part of the world the 700R4 went into the same era V8 Holdens and they 'hot' the trans up by putting Corvette parts in - I'm worried that the Transgo kit will be full of parts I already have, or in the case of the 3-4 valve, maybe don't want.

Our speed limit is 100Km per hour - about 62mph, around that spoeed I want the box to downshift to 3rd for overtaking so maybe that's the best thing and I should fit the 3-4 valve in the kit.

Hope someone with experience can jump in here and tell us what they think.

S'nut
Old 02-29-2004, 08:01 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TransGo kit I installed had instructions for which spring to use. They went something like this...

"If the stock spring is longer than the new spring, use the stock spring", etc...

Don't take the above as actual instructions, it was just an example. :) The instructions are very complete - if someone can read and follow directions, it's no problem.
Now with that said, I had a heck of a time getting one of those roll pins out and had to take the valve body to a shop to get it removed. I found the little roll pin extractor supplied in the kit useless as I had to use a needle nose pliers to get them out. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 03-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ? (cprgmr)

My Transgo 'Junior' shift improver and correction kit is in !!!

As you said cprgmr, The instructions are very clear, there were no problems.

I picked the vette up yesterday in torrential rain, couldn't test drive it properly because of the rain - so noisy couldn't hear much - but there was an instant seat of the pants improvement as soon as I drove off, shifts smoother but firmer - exactly what I wanted. Let's hope it stays that way.

thanks to everyone who offered advice

S'nut
Old 03-02-2004, 07:57 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Transgo 'Junior' shift improver and correction kit is in !!!

As you said cprgmr, The instructions are very clear, there were no problems.

I picked the vette up yesterday in torrential rain, couldn't test drive it properly because of the rain - so noisy couldn't hear much - but there was an instant seat of the pants improvement as soon as I drove off, shifts smoother but firmer - exactly what I wanted. Let's hope it stays that way.

thanks to everyone who offered advice

S'nut
:cheers: Glad to help - just wait for that big grin when those tires bark into second gear! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transgo Shift Kit -install 3-4 spring? any tips ?