C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

vettee is running like CRAP help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Cory00
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vettee is running like CRAP help!

well guys over the past 2 days i have stalled out about 3 times. 2 times it did it for no reason like i could not feel it, it just shut off, and the 3rd time i was driving and it felt like i was running out of gas (had 3/4s of a tank) and when i hit the gas the rpms whent to about 2500 and i didnt go faster then the revs just droped to about 8 so i poped it in to N and tryed to rev it it would barley rev but the car stayed running and i made it home just coasting. and tonight i was comming out of a gas station going about 20 and it just cut off. i got a check engine light but when i tryed to pull it to see what it was it just showed 12 so it didnot store it. when it stalls out i come to a start and put it in park and start it right back up and it fires quick not like im not getting gas or anything. when its not stalling out the car runs great with no probs.

also im getting a tick tick tick real fast when im in drive at a light when i have the brake held down and i have the gas pushed in just a little its when im getting the fast ticking noise also it happens when im backing up with out giving it gas. it does not make the sound when in N or park while driving i cant hear it, when im ideling in drive it does not do it but if i give it gas while im holding the brakes it does. it does not sound like its comming from the engine i think it might be my exhaust is loose or some thing.

thanks for all the help everyone i hope its nothing bad
:confused:

Old 03-07-2004, 12:45 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (Cory00)

I don't know enough about the Crossfire to help...

oh, tell us the model year in your text, it saves us from checking your profile...
Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Cory00
Pro

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (bogus)

sorry about that i forgot its a 84
Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its when im getting the fast ticking noise also it happens when im backing up with out giving it gas.
I had more of a "clicking" sound. It sounded like it was from the rear. I would hear it as soon as I began to accelerate from a dead stop. Also when going in reverse. I pulled the rear hub bearing assemblies, cleaned all the rust off the splines, and coated them with "anti-seize" compound. The "clicking" went away for good.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:06 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This sounds like several problems. The "ticking" very likely IS exhaust. It doesn't tick in neutral, but in gear with a little throttle pressure, you increase the exhaust volume. You may not hear it while driving because it is being drowned out by other noise.

The revving to 2500 rpms, sound like a trans on it's last legs.

The dying, needs trouble shooting. *I* have never seen a check engine light that didn't leave a code set. Did you let it flash "12", three times and wait to see what might come next?

For others that may have some thoughts, the Crossfire isn't all that much different than early TPIs. It IS speed-density, not MAF. It has no cold start injector, and operates on lower fuel pressure. Most other systems are very similar.

RACE ON!!!

[Modified by CFI-EFI, 9:09 AM 3/7/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (CFI-EFI)

Clogged Cats? :crazy:
Old 03-07-2004, 12:56 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (rick lambert)

Clogged Cats? :crazy:
singular - cat... could be, but it does not explain the trannys slow response.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Tourney3p0
Pro

It's already been said, but the revving to 2500 thing sounds like either the transmission or the catalytic converter.

The transmission going out, as far as I know, wouldn't cause any of the other symptoms you're describing.

The catalytic converter going out could cause rough idle and an inability to rev very high because basically the car is choking on its own exhaust.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (bogus)

It could. A clogged cat makes all the vaccum readings and ECU inputs jump all over the place. Imagine your TV cable being at full pull and your engine loping along at 2500rpm....No shift
Old 03-08-2004, 12:31 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: vettee is running like CRAP help! (Chevy Guy)

I re-read the original post. On the first reading, I interpreted that the engine, free revved to 2500 rpms, like it was in neutral. That is why I suggested a bad trans. The post is unclear. It may mean what I first thought, or the car may have accelerated to 2500 rpms and would go no higher. If the engine won't rev past 2500 rpms, the cat IS a likely suspect. From this and previous posts, I get the feeling that this car has been pretty well, "hacked on".

RACE ON!!!

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To vettee is running like CRAP help!

Quick Reply: vettee is running like CRAP help!