C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replace water pump now have oil leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 PM
LT4Abe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace water pump now have oil leak!!!

Hi, I replaced my water pump on the LT4 2 days ago, now I have an oil leak at the front of the engine. Pretty good one, 8 inch diameter puddle on the ground and the front crossmember is pretty well covered, the bottom two spark plug wire boots have oil on them and some of the pass. side wires have some oil slung on them.
I did notice some play in the water pump drive shaft during install, I could wiggle it just a little bit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a feeling I might have to do it all over again and replace the drive shaft seal... Bummer.
Thanks a lot
Old 04-15-2004, 09:57 PM
chb88
Instructor

Default Re: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!! (LT4Abe)

:iagree: Sounds like you missed the seal
Old 04-15-2004, 10:09 PM
autotech
Racer

Default Re: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!! (chb88)

Missed what seal. If all you removed was the water pump, then all you could leak would be water...
Old 04-15-2004, 10:21 PM
iceman_t1
Pro

Abe, I just replaced my water pump last week on my LT1. When I took the pump off, there was a coupler that fit over the spline shaft coming out of the front of the engine cover and the spline shaft on the pump. Before I put the coupler on the shaft on the front of the engine, I put a small O-ring seal on that shaft and then put the coupler on the shaft. I pushed the seal all the way to the back of the shaft and the coupler pressed against it. Maybe that is the seal you are missing.

Here is the GM part number for the seal I bought. #10128343

Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Daniel DK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!! (iceman_t1)

Abe, I just replaced my water pump last week on my LT1. When I took the pump off, there was a coupler that fit over the spline shaft coming out of the front of the engine cover and the spline shaft on the pump. Before I put the coupler on the shaft on the front of the engine, I put a small O-ring seal on that shaft and then put the coupler on the shaft. I pushed the seal all the way to the back of the shaft and the coupler pressed against it. Maybe that is the seal you are missing.

Here is the GM part number for the seal I bought. #10128343

Hope that helps.
hmmm i have the same problem as lt4abe and i used the special gm-tool to install the seal in the timingcover. I i didn't notice a seal that fits over the shaft that protrudes the engine- is it an o-ring?

:cheers:
Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 PM
iceman_t1
Pro

Default Re: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!! (Daniel DK)

Daniel, Yes, it is a small rubber O-ring. When I went to GM to get it, their assembly pic showed in at that location.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:13 PM
LT4Abe
Intermediate

Hey guys thanks for the input. You'll never guess what i did, i took it all apart again replaced the opti and the w/pump d/shaft seal, it looked like it was leaking a little, put it all back together and it is still leaking.

I think the crank hub/harmonic balancer hub seal is the culprit. Time for round 3!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
96BLKTN
Pro

Just did mine twice so I feel your PAIN.. The o-ring on the water pump I can't see that it would seal anything but the shaft it sits in. I re-torqed all of the bolts on the timing chain cover. I hope it helps. I had gunk all over the cover and water pump. I am thinking the water pump gear seal in the timing cover might be the culprit??? :thumbs:
Old 04-17-2004, 08:53 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the crank hub/harmonic balancer hub seal is the culprit. Time for round 3!!!
Use a balancer repair sleeve, and replace the timing cover seal, it will stop the leak.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 PM
LT4Abe
Intermediate

Default Re: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!! (STL94LT1)

A balancer repair sleeve??? I will have to look into that one. Thanks, I am going to replace the three seals in the timing cover, the w/pump driveshaft seal(again), the distributor seal, and the balancer seal. This will hopefully stop the leaking.
Thanks for your guys's input.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:43 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Balancer hub repair sleeve: NAPA Balkamp part # 600-2016.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The source of my oil leak (and several other's leaks) was at the sensor at the bottom of the cover. It has a small o-ring, also. One screw and you're there. I would try it first.

oopps! 8" oil puddle? don't think it is the sensor. I just noticed the part of the puddle in your post.......

[Modified by southern_son, 8:51 AM 4/20/2004]
Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 PM
LT4Abe
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies, and the part number for the tool. I got the seal for the hub from the dealer and I will hopefully install tomorrow, and I will check out the crank position sensor while I'm down there. But like you said 8" puddle is probably not coming from there. I will post when I finally resolve this issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace water pump now have oil leak!!!

Quick Reply: Replace water pump now have oil leak!!!