C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:53 AM
montie98
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped.

The car wont even try to start. Almost as if it had no battery at all but the dash is showing 11.5/11.8 range when the key is turned.Is this just a bad battery or possibly something else?When I jump start the car it starts and runs normal.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped. (montie98)

Put a volt meter on the battery and observe the voltage when you try to crank it. If it falls dramatically it's most likely a problem with your battery. Of course it could always be a corrosion problem. Take the cables off the battery and inspect them carefully.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:33 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped. (Nathan Plemons)

Put a volt meter on the battery and observe the voltage when you try to crank it. If it falls dramatically it's most likely a problem with your battery. Of course it could always be a corrosion problem. Take the cables off the battery and inspect them carefully.
After doing that, check for the proper illumination of the lights, especially the headlights.

If all that checks okay, you need to have the battery load tested. Under load, as when you try to crank the engine, the voltage could be dropping dramatically. Most places, like Pep Boys, can test the battery for you.

If all that checkes okay, then we have to go with Plan 'B', so get back to use for more.

Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 01:51 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped. (montie98)

You have a discharged battery! Charge it up with a battery charger for at least 48 hours! The state of charge can be told by measuring the no load battery terminal voltage. 12.0 volts or lower, discharged, 12.9 volts or higher , fully charged. If you measure the battery terminal volts while cranking, the battery must not fall below 9.0 volts or the battery is discharged, the cable connections are poor and need cleaning, or the battery is at the end of its life.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 PM
MtlSphere
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is the battery? A shorted or weak battery can still show 12.0 +/- volts while unable to hold a load (amps).

I have found that battery performance begins to decrease in the third year with signs of deterioration (low voltage, low amps, etc). Maybe that's why they have a prorated warranty. I typically replace them in the fourth year as a matter of preventative maintenance.

Just a thought here...my wifes suv had a very similar problem...I thought battery. Tested three times at three shops. Turned out to be excessive resistance in the starter.
:seeya
Old 05-16-2004, 06:14 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped. (MtlSphere)

Indeed the first thing is to check battery connections for corrosion and solidarity.

If you don't have a DMM, turn on the headlights and try to start the car. If the headlights go out the battery has insufficient charge.

If so, get a jump start and let it charge up; if the voltage doesn't jump to around 14Vdc on startup and later settle into the high 12-low 13Vdc range, serivce the alternator.

If the alternator seems to be charging properly, replace the battery. You could always have starter resistance checked first.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
montie98
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped. (65Z01)

Okay I changed the battery and I am still getting the same click but no start,uhhh what next?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:50 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is that a typo? did you change or charge the battery? I would still measure the battery terminal voltage when you hit the starter, this will tell you if the battery is any good. Voltage should not fall below 9.0 volts while cranking. Your cables must be ok because you can jump start the car.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:38 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd first check all the connections to make sure they're tight and clean.

One way I do it is to use a screwdriver on the solenoid terminals. Touching the tip of the screwdrive to the 12 post and the 'S' terminal should cause the engine to crank. If it cranks using the screwdriver jumping technique, then the solenoid is bad.

The other precedures call for checking voltages at various places. I'll post those if it turns out NOT to be the solenoid.

Jake
Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 AM
madmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you jump start the car, it starts and runs normal? The connection from the battery to the starter connection sounds bad. If the jumper cable starts the car but a battery does not, the jumper cable has a better connection than the battery. Also If you are jumping the vehicle with another vehicle that is running, the amps will be greater so your starter might be pooping out. I would test the starter first. Take it to a auto parts shop. They usually test it for free. If its not the starter, trace the cable from the starter to the battery, If its good, place a jump wire from the battery to the solenoid + and see if the vehicle cranks. If it cranks its probably your ignition switch. Do you have a VATS , vehicle anti theft device. Let us know what happens.. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped.

Quick Reply: Dash is showing almost 12v but car will only start if jumped.